mite infestation

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Roxannecat
New Cat Chatter

mite infestation

Post by Roxannecat »

Hi I have a black cat who is covered in mites. He is not bothered by itching or anything like that. Our vet (Enniskillen), had a look and does not recognise the mites, saying they are 8 legged and similar to Cheyletiellosis (walking dandruff), but are not the same species. A mutation? Nothing seems to work to get rid of them. Have tried strong stuff from the vets and now cider vinegar spray as well. Has anyone experienced this before? It is really hard on us all as we cannot cuddle him nor have him on our laps, not knowing if it will spread to humans, etc... We are washing and changing his bedding daily and not allowing him out of the kitchen. Help!
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: mite infestation

Post by lilynmitz »

I wonder if they're harvest mites? If so, they're seasonal, and should be gone in the next two weeks.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

I would expect your vet to recognise harvest mites, though. Do you have rabbits, as well as cats? Or other animals? Could it be something more commonly found on another animal? Or ear mites, outside their usual range? But if it is new to your vet it is unlikely to be anything that occurs frequently - I would suggest asking your vet to send samples to the appropriate lab or research institute for identification, and recommendations for treatment.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I'm a bit surprised your vet isn't more concerned about an unidentified species of mite that is proving resistant to the normal mite treatments. I would have hoped they would be eager to get them identified at least.

I'm afraid i can't suggest any treatment except the old physical one, a flea comb and a piece of sticky paper like fly paper to catch any that it pulls out. It might with time sort out the current problem but not knowing what they are and where they are from means it could occur again, on your cat or on someone else's.
Roxannecat
New Cat Chatter

Post by Roxannecat »

thank you for your feedback. In the end spoke to a different vet clinic who immediately offered to send a sample off to be identified. Wish the first vet had tried the same a week ago. Sometimes loyalty does not pay! Apparently not harvest mites as they are too small. It is as much that I am concerned this might be a mutation and really wondering if it has happened to anyone else's cat. The only good thing is that at least he isn't itchy, just sad and lonely at being kept away from family and cuddles.
still_c
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by still_c »

Hi everyone, I need your advice. My cat seems to have similar problems and my uncle keeps convincing me that such sprays [Advertising link removed by forum admin] that he uses for his home to get rid of mites are also can be used for pets. I know there are some pet-friendly sprays, but I believe that it is not dangerous if it is used for the house and furniture that a cat interacts with. But not for a cat directly, correct me if I'm wrong.
Last edited by Lisa-D on Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed advertising link
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

I would only use a spray recommended by my vet directly on a cat, or on anything they might come into contact with.