Rescued Persian Cat Not Eating

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
masiddiqui
New Cat Chatter

Rescued Persian Cat Not Eating

Post by masiddiqui »

Yesterday I adopted a rescued persian cat who seemed to be malnutritioned. Brought her home cleaned her up and gave her bath and dried her using towel first then used hair drier. soon after coming out of bath she vomited and was having diarrhea. I spent the night in agony and then took her to the vet today, and the vet gave her some injections and told me to give her prebiotics. I tried force feeding prebiotics but she didnt took not a single drop. She didnt even took a sip of chicken broth. Now i am worried that she will die if she didnt get nutrients in her system. Please help
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Rescued Persian Cat Not Eating

Post by booktigger »

Its normal for cats not to eat very much for the first couple of days in a new home, the diarrhoea and vomiting could be stress related. What injection did the vet give her? I'd put some bland food and water down and just let her settle, don't try forcing anything into her
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Rescued Persian Cat Not Eating

Post by lilynmitz »

Wow, that was a baptism of fire for your new puss. Look at it from her viewpoint, she’s taken by someone she doesn’t know to a strange house, is put in a bowl of water and washed, then blow dried with a hairdryer, (both of which are unnatural and quite frightening for most cats and may have contributed to her tummy upset), then put back in a carrier and taken to another strange place where the vet gave her a good poking over (again which most cats find extremely stressful even when they haven’t just been through all that upheaval and trauma), and now you’ve tried to force feed her probiotics.

I completely understand that you are trying to do this with her best interests in mind, but I can’t help feeling this is far too much too soon for her. If the vet hasn’t found anything too worrying so far, I would let her settle in at her own pace. Give her space to hide away and/or explore at her own pace. Leave some recognisable cat food (ie something she will be more familiar with), water and litter, and start building a relationship of trust with her at her own speed.

As Booktigger says, many new cats will go off their food for a bit when they first move in. Some take a day or two to toilet as well. It sounds like she’s had some tough experiences in the past and she needs time to recover and find her feet again.

Give her time and space, and some gentle love, and she’ll get there in the end.