Pregnancy in cats

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Ingrid
New Cat Chatter

Pregnancy in cats

Post by Ingrid »

We have a pregnant cat that is 62 days pregnant and we would like advice on how to help to deliver kittens and the signs to know pregnancy is imminent
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Pregnancy in cats

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome.

I think Cats' Protection puts it very well - https://www.cats.org.uk/birth-and-kittening

She's about due (feline pregnancy lasts 63 days) although they can run late. She'll probably manage perfectly by herself but the article tells you what to look for if help's needed. Has she chosen a place and made a nest? Just a cardboard box lined with newspaper (kittens can get entangled in blankets) in a safe dim draught-free place, such as the bottom of a wardrobe, is fine, although they do have their own ideas - one of my Siamese started her labour in bed with me lol. Some cats like to get into their box and tear up the newspaper a few days before birth. She'll need a litter tray close by, needless to say, and put a good thickness of paper in the box so that you can take the messy layers out afterwards - things do get messy.

Good luck to her and please let us know how she goes on :)