My gorgeous little cat was run over last week

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
tina1
Frequent Cat Chatter

My gorgeous little cat was run over last week

Post by tina1 »

Hi

Like others, I am grieving badly as well as feeling guilt. That sweet little boy was only just 2 years old, mischievious and loving and although I have other cats he was the youngest and quickly stole my heart. He had run over to a neighbour across the road and was hit in the head as he tried to run back. I knew nothing about it until late that evening when I was still out hunting for him and a nbr saw me and told me what happened. Next morning I knocked on doors trying to find out if anyone had seen anything and who took him. One nbr said my next door nbr (who doesn't even speak to me) claimed he would offer to bury my cat for me. Another nbr said the same next door nbr had called animal waste and got the cat taken away. He knew the cat was mine and told another nbr I was probably out shopping, so he knew I would be back soon, but yet decided to have the cat taken by animal waste. The consequences made the situation so much worse as I couldn't reach animal waste by phone so had to do so online and wait for a reply. While I waited I agonised over the possibility the cat was on a rubbish dump. When they contacted me the next day I found out they keep cats and dogs for a while to see if owners come forward. I went to the animal waste dept and was shocked to find he'd been frozen. Witnesses had said he was lying outstretched in the gutter but he was frozen into a curled up ball.The council worker said they put them in bags and throw them onto vans so their bodies get distorted. The worker didn't advise me looking at him close up due to terrible facial injuries. I hadn't expect him to be frozen and imagined stroking him to say goodbye but that wasn't possible. It is all very sad and I feel that what the next door nbr did was very cruel.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: My gorgeous little cat was run over last week

Post by Kay »

I've lost a cat to the road, and I do understand your pain so well - I was luckier than you because the person who hit him laid him by the side of the road, and a neighbour knocked and told me he was there

I can understand the freezing if the bodies are kept for several days, and of course he would have felt nothing, and it is always better if they are killed outright, but the shock and grief for you is even worse, and I agree your neighbour could have placed his body somewhere near for you, unless he genuinely thought seeing his body would upset you more - men don't always understand these things

I hope you'll be able to bury your boy - finding a fitting memorial does give some comfort
tina1
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by tina1 »

Thank you Kay for your kind words. I am having a hard time coming to terms with the loss of this cat. I've lost others to illness and although heartbroken, I accepted they could not have lived any longer. Perhaps I am finding it so difficult because he was barely two years old and because he meant so much to me. He was one of those cats that had a real personality and was also very loving. I miss him so much and I also keep going over all the "what ifs" which I know achieves nothing, but I keep wishing I had kept him as an indoor cat. I have a large front and back garden and he loved to be outside but after he was run over a nbr told me he kept going across the road into his back garden, which I knew nothing about. I did get him in around 5 pm so he was not out in the evenings and sometimes left him indoors when I went out. I did a lot to protect him but not enough and I just wish I could turn back time. He had a communal cremation because I am one of those people who is not comforted by memorials as they make me even more sad.
Polly
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by Polly »

My Deepest sympathy to you all on the sad loss of your gorgeous cats, I know exactly what you are going through, I lost my cat 14 weeks ago,due to illness,he was 141/2 years old,nearly 15, massive part of the family, his death really affected me very badly.
Bertie 2017
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Bertie 2017 »

Hi Tina I ,sorry too hear about your loss ,yes I agree your neighbour was cruel and in the wrong, too treat your cat ,like a piece of rubbish ,it’s stressful enough losing a cat ,without
That ,but trust me when I say ,there are many cruel people in this world , but also many
Good people also ,like people on this website ,and many charity’s that run pet breavment support lines ,like the blue cross. ,they have been amazing ,in fact I am thinking about
Becoming a volunteer myself ,too help others ,believe me ,I understand all too well
The pain and heartache ,that comes with pet Loss ,so knowing that there are people who
Care is priceless ,

Take care xx
tina1
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by tina1 »

Polly wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:54 am My Deepest sympathy to you all on the sad loss of your gorgeous cats, I know exactly what you are going through, I lost my cat 14 weeks ago,due to illness,he was 141/2 years old,nearly 15, massive part of the family, his death really affected me very badly.
Thank you for your comments. I feel for you at the loss of your beloved cat. My 10 year old ginger boy died exactly two years ago due to a heart condition. It was heartbreaking.
tina1
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by tina1 »

Bertie 2017 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:13 am Hi Tina I ,sorry too hear about your loss ,yes I agree your neighbour was cruel and in the wrong, too treat your cat ,like a piece of rubbish ,it’s stressful enough losing a cat ,without
That ,but trust me when I say ,there are many cruel people in this world , but also many
Good people also ,like people on this website ,and many charity’s that run pet breavment support lines ,like the blue cross. ,they have been amazing ,in fact I am thinking about
Becoming a volunteer myself ,too help others ,believe me ,I understand all too well
The pain and heartache ,that comes with pet Loss ,so knowing that there are people who
Care is priceless ,

Take care xx
Thank you for your kind words. Yes that neighbour was cruel. And there are many like that as you say, but there are many more kind people. It must be difficult to work on support lines knowing the sad stories that get told, but those that do it are a huge help to someone who is beside themselves with grief. Its something you can't really talk about too much with friends but talking helps the grieving process. Many don't understand how attached people get to cats. I didn't in the past but now having had some cats and taken in strays, I realise how affectionate they can be and what wonderful personalities many of them have. I still wonder how that driver could have (a) hit my cat and (b) just driven on without stopping. Where I live it would be easy for a car to avoid hitting a cat, i.e. plenty of room to swerve and avoid it. I realise part of the grieving process is going over and over things until one day its no longer necessary. The sadness will never go away though.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hello Tina1 please accept my delayed sympathise on the loss of your fur babe & upsetting circumstances you had to do. It’s a difficult time & sometimes takes a while to accept & process your loss & grief. You’ll find the support on Catchat is wonderful should you need to post further. Perhaps, as suggested, you could consider a lovely plant in memory of your little un. Vivian
Bertie 2017
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Bertie 2017 »

Hi Tina yes you are right ,people are so cruel and evil ,most pets on the street can be avoided, by traffic ,it makes you wonder ,would they run over a child ? That short answer
Is no ,sadly some people don’t see animals as living breathing creatures with feelings and
A heartbeat, but I do ,when I lost my Bertie ,my cat basil ,Bertie’s brother ,grieved for a
While ,and basil also felt my pain ,so it goes to prove animals have feelings ,how are you doing . .? Yes I can well imagine it being tough on the breavment helpline ,but I feel I need
Too help others ,going through ,pet Loss , because they brought me back from the brink
The service is priceless ,and has only 100 or so volunteers ,

Take care x