New Kitten - eye problem?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Kitzkatz
New Cat Chatter

New Kitten - eye problem?

Post by Kitzkatz »

Hi, can anyone offer some advice please. My daughter is hoping to get a kitten from a friend whose cat has just had a litter. They are about 4 weeks old and we went to see them a couple of days ago. The kitten she has set her heart on seems to have some sort of discharge around his eyes (I’ve attached a pic). Does anyone know what this might be or if serious. None of the other kittens seemed to have it.

Many thanks 😁
F25DF0C8-E28B-40B5-AAC1-8FFD5F001179.jpeg
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: New Kitten - eye problem?

Post by lilynmitz »

You’re right to be cautious, it may be the beginning of cat flu, or an eye infection. Advise your friend that this kitty needs to see a vet, then see what the vet says.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I have to agree that a vet visit is the best option, but I would also suggest extending it to all the kittens, if one has an infection the others are likely to pick it up. It might be something that a few drops can clear up and prevent the others getting, and giving the kittens a health check as well will be well worth while.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

As it's a friend who has the kittens, I'd definitely ask for a vet check for this little one - and for the others too. Kittens can pick up viruses from their mothers and some eye problems are very contagious. I hope it's something easily treatable and you can take your little one home when she's ready. x