HELP! 10 WEEK OLD KITTEN! NEED URGENT ADVICE

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
swindonuk
New Cat Chatter

HELP! 10 WEEK OLD KITTEN! NEED URGENT ADVICE

Post by swindonuk »

Hi Everyone,

Just after a little advice please as it may be me thinking to much into it but I would rather be better safe than sorry.

I have had cats for over 20 years and never experience anything like this before!

I have recently got a new kitten she is 10 weeks old. I have 2 male cats 1 that is neutered and one that is now booked in for the 18th October as there wasn't any sooner appointments his previous owner did not have him neutured and I have booked 2 previous appointments to get him neutered and he's managed to escape.

My concern is that the other cats play with her and surprised how good they are together already I do not leave them together unattended as it has only been 2 days. The unneutured male is 4 years old and I have had him for 3 months.

He keeps following the little one around and miaows at her and she at times growls and hisses at him which she does not do with the others. He will follow her to the food and water and also to the litter trays and crys if he can't see her he does sniff her bottom alot and miaows when she turns away shes fits in my hand. he is so big compared to her. When I tell him to stop he runs away but within seconds he's back again!

Due to how little time I have had her it might be he's curious? wants to play? am I just over thinking into this? I will still get him done ASAP but I just want to see whether this is the signs of mating because if it is I will not let them be in the same room as each other till the appointments..

He only does this with the kitten as well.

Before anyone says I should of got him neutured first I did not plan on getting another kitten. Me and some neighbours were getting worried about a house that was empty found a group of kittens in appalling conditions and had to put things over our mouth as it was so bad. There was 10 kittens altogether and I found good homes for of them other than this little girl I could not leave her there and did not want her to go to anywhere I couldn't check up on how she was doing. As I am very careful about who kittens go to.

My cats as I said get on well but I am concerned he may be trying to mate with her even through she is only 10 weeks old and so small.

I have always had all my cats neutered by 4-5 months so I have never had this problem or witnessed this problem!

I am debating on going to another vets to see if I can get him in any sooner because I dont know if I can wait till the 18th October
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: HELP! 10 WEEK OLD KITTEN! NEED URGENT ADVICE

Post by fjm »

It could simply be curiosity, but I would certainly get him neutered as soon as possible, and in the meantime I would not leave them alone together unsupervised. On average cats first come into season at 5-6 months, but it can be much earlier, and by 18th October she will be 4 and a half months, and could quite possibly start calling. And some males will forcibly mate even when the female is not calling - I would not run any risks.
swindonuk
New Cat Chatter

Post by swindonuk »

Thank you FJM

I was worried I was over thinking but something did not feel right I haven't left them alone as know due to ages of my other cats I slowly introduce over a few days to few weeks depending on how they are doing.

I will be calling all vets in my area to see if I can get him in any sooner as I a worried that she might come in sooner we've said 10 week but at same time this could be a week out or so this is why I was also worried about leaving it till October the vets I am currently with have used since my first cat and never had problem getting appointment before.

But thank you so much I will be on the phone to other vets tomorrow just needed to make sure I wasn't thinking to much into this as this is first experiencing on the mating signs as I don't agree with pets not being neutered unless its due to exceptional cases as I have insurance microchips etc for all the others but just wish he hadn't of ran off first 2 times so he would have been done by now
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Diana »

I agree. Neutering him is of key importance. And I definitely would not leave them together unattended. He's probably being very curious. Cats are smart animals and we can't always predict their next move and before you know it, he could have got his little leg over. Be safe and try and get him neutered soon. Leading up to the little op, have you tried confining him to one room a day or so before with windows all shut?

Hope it goes well