Vet cones after a neutering - how vital?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Vet cones after a neutering - how vital?

Post by exlibris »

Hi all,
I was told my female tabby would have a cone on after her neutering op. I found this confusing because 18 years ago little Twitch didn't. To make matters worse I collected her this afternoon and the vet said she didn't put it on because she wasn't fiddling with her wound, but to put it on if she does. So, does she need it or not??? If the vet is happy, at what point should I consider putting it on? She is washing normally, and occasionally goes over that area, but doesn't start biting it. I really don't want to put it on if I don't have to.
Anyone had similar experiences that they could share?
Thanks.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Vet cones after a neutering - how vital?

Post by booktigger »

It depends what they've used. I'm surprised you wouldn't have been sent home with a cone 18 years ago though, there weren't other options then
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

All of the cats I have had that were neutered none wore a cone. There is no harm using them, it's an extra precaution to stop them from going near the site. I believe female cats when spayed are normally given dissolvable stitches, wherever this has any baring on the cone, I couldn't say. I guess it's personal choice, if you're able to keep an eye on her then I'd say no, because cones aren't pleasent for cats and more often then not they end up getting stressed out. However if you're out then I would be inclined to use it cause you're not around to watch. As time passes, the need for cone fades. It's really up to you and if you feel you're able to trust your cat then go without it, but if you spot her going near the site, it's best to be on and be safer. It's designed to stop them kicking the site thus spreading infection. Though I'm a big hater of cones
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by exlibris »

Diana wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:43 pm All of the cats I have had that were neutered none wore a cone. There is no harm using them, it's an extra precaution to stop them from going near the site. I believe female cats when spayed are normally given dissolvable stitches, wherever this has any baring on the cone, I couldn't say. I guess it's personal choice, if you're able to keep an eye on her then I'd say no, because cones aren't pleasent for cats and more often then not they end up getting stressed out. However if you're out then I would be inclined to use it cause you're not around to watch. As time passes, the need for cone fades. It's really up to you and if you feel you're able to trust your cat then go without it, but if you spot her going near the site, it's best to be on and be safer. It's designed to stop them kicking the site thus spreading infection. Though I'm a big hater of cones
So far neither have done anything to their wounds. I think she may have licked it, but not intentionally, just as part of her washing routine. The problem is more her acrobatics, which is something I can't stop. I think a collar would stress her too much.
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Yeh, some cats do not adjust at all to the collars especially those that are very active and nimble. They are good little things to help keep wounds and areas off limits, but with my cats they'd do more harm then good. It's being cruel to be kind sometimes when they have to wear them
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by exlibris »

Decision has been made - no cone unless absolutely necessary, because the poor wee thing had a fair traumatising adventure today.
My mother-in-law and my partner were taking both the cats to the vets and the car for its MOT. On going to transfer cats from one car to another it was discovered that one carrier was EMPTY. Absolute panic as our tiny tabby is QUICK. They managed to find her under the drivers seat shaking. She really, really hates being enclosed in a carrier, but has now discovered that this is preferable to being alone in an unknown noisy place where you don't know where your brother or your human is :(
I'm not going doing anything else that will potentially traumatise her unless it's absolutely necessary. We've had them less than a fortnight, we should be bonding, not frightening the life out of them.
The one good thing that came out of this is that, normally, she is really skittish around my partner - all purrs, then runs away. Today she snuggled right into him and showed she was desperately pleased to see him and trusted him.