Harvest mite infestation

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Bw33
New Cat Chatter

Harvest mite infestation

Post by Bw33 »

Hi, I believe my cat may have Harvest mites as this is the third year she has started itching like crazy in August. The vet didn't diagnose this the last two years, just gave her an anti-inflammatory shot which worked. I haven't taken her again yet this year, as I wondered if the mites go at the end of the season? Does anyone know please?
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Harvest mite infestation

Post by lilynmitz »

We have awful harvest mites every year, I counted the bites on my own body and gave up at 70! But they do only hang around for about 6 weeks from the beginning of August, so yes, they should have gone by now. Some cats (and people) are more affected than others (they left my husband alone!). My two mogs don’t seem to be too badly affected, although I did catch Toby chewing his toes a lot.

If they’re still irritated, it could be fleas, as they thrive in warm weather too.
Bw33
New Cat Chatter

Re: Harvest mite infestation

Post by Bw33 »

Oh right. I'm hoping it's not fleas as flea protection is all up to date and there doesn't seem to be any signs of fleas. Just a constant itching and chewing at her ears, back and bum. It definitely started in August as usual, but she's still doing it now....so possibly not Harvest mites then.