Rehoming 2 Cats, Different Litters, age 1 year apart - help/advice?!

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Peter17
New Cat Chatter

Rehoming 2 Cats, Different Litters, age 1 year apart - help/advice?!

Post by Peter17 »

Hello

I am consider re-homing a female British Shorthair who is 1 year 3 months old, and a female Ragdoll who is 3 months old. Both from different places.

Can anyone give me any tips?

Are they likely to get along? or is this a bad idea?

Thanks!
Pete
Cat-FAQ
Cat Chat Adviser

Re: Rehoming 2 Cats, Different Litters, age 1 year apart - help/advice?!

Post by Cat-FAQ »

Hiya,

It's great to hear you're considering giving two cats a home. Please find below a couple of links that may be useful for you:

Bringing a new cat into your home: https://www.catchat.org/index.php/new-cat-in-the-home
Feline introductions: https://www.catchat.org/index.php/new-cat-introductions

Hope this helps!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Rehoming 2 Cats, Different Litters, age 1 year apart - help/advice?!

Post by Mollycat »

All I can think is timing, whether the older or younger one would be better brought in and settled first or both at the same time. Might depend on their characters. Has the older one been an only cat in a home, or lived in a shelter, what's her situation?

I do know my partner got a puppy and a kitten on the same day and they were inseparable, and I had a placid resident 9 year old Ragdoll in desperate need of company for 3 months when I brought in my extremely timid 6 year old moggy girl and all went perfectly, I never even separated them as she could hide under the bed where he couldn't reach her and he was the gentlest soul you could imagine. He had always lived around other cats but not with as he was a retired stud, she had been an only cat for at least 5 years. The other way around I think we would have had trouble.