New kitten litter problems

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Lmday
New Cat Chatter

New kitten litter problems

Post by Lmday »

I just adopted a new kitten, approximately 12 weeks home from a barn. I had him checked from vet and brought him home. Very healthy, an absolute sweetheart. Problem is he’s afraid of litter box, I put him in and he jumps right out, seems frightened. I thought it might be texture so bought 2 small litter boxes with different litters, one is pellets, other is like sawdust. Still very afraid when I put him in, jumps right out. Any advice?
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: New kitten litter problems

Post by Kay »

it's quite possible he is frightened by being put somewhere he doesn't want to go, rather than of the litter tray and litter

I've never had to put kittens into the litter box, as they seem to know what it is and what it's for - I'd make sure he knows where it is and let him get on with it - if you continue with three trays in different places he is likely to find at least one of them when he needs it
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: New kitten litter problems

Post by Mollycat »

Agree with Kay let him find it when he wants it. Cats naturally look for a suitable place to go where they can dig, bury and cover, so unless you have an indoor sand pit the litter will be a natural choice. If he was born in a barn he may have so far been going in soil, so maybe mixing the litters with some houseplant compost at first might help him realise this is the place to go.

Has he been toiletting on the floor? If so maybe putting the litter trays where he was been going could help too.