Stopping kitten climbing large computer screen

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
ems8782
New Cat Chatter

Stopping kitten climbing large computer screen

Post by ems8782 »

Hi,

I’m in need of some advice. Our 14 week old kitten keeps jumping up onto my partners workstation and running up his computer screen. It’s a large drawing tablet/monitor (wacom cintiq), so is pressure sensitive and was v expensive and it’s stressing him out big time that she’s going to scratch it.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we keep her off of the table? We’d like to not have to move it into our bedroom, as he works from home so would end up spending 90% of his time shut away up there if we did. I’ve thought about moving it to the other end of the sofa so it’s not right next to the stairs but he doesn’t think it will make a difference, as she just seems to try to go up and over the screen and isn’t using it as a springboard to the stairs.

Any suggestions hugely appreciated!
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Re: Stopping kitten climbing large computer screen

Post by papa cat »

Does your kitten do it when he is using it or just when it is not in use ? If it is the latter cover it in aluminium foil, probably best to turn the monitor off though !
If it is at all times,(I guess the kitten has to walk/climb/jump onto the desktop to get on the monitor) perhaps cover the desktop with foil leaving only the minimum area needed for the keyboard and any essential items that need to be used.
I use the same to keep my cats off the furniture and it is very effective even though it looks a bit odd.
Last edited by papa cat on Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ems8782
New Cat Chatter

Post by ems8782 »

Both unfortunately! This morning she ran up it as he was working. I will give the foil a go, thank you ☺️
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by papa cat »

It may not work instantly as the kitten will have to experience it a few times to discover it is uncomfortable to walk on.
Try crinkling it up a little bit so that it 'crunches' when walked on, this might make it more uncomfortable under it's paws.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

To me the question is why and a permanent solution is to offer a better alternative. My cats used to sit on the table to look out of the window, so I moved the table away and offered them their very own wide window sill. Now there is no reason to go on the table I can tell them no or just not worry about it occasionally. They never scratched the sofa but to make sure I put a scratch post right next to it. Anything that is meant for them gets a light spray of catnip spray so that they know it's theirs.

Warmth and company are often good reasons for cats to play with computers so maybe a warm or self-heating bed nearby could help and a shelf above to satisfy the climbing urge with smaller steps up to it if needed. You could even drill small holes in the shelf so the heat comes up.