New Spots Around Cat Ears

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
savannahcatman
New Cat Chatter

New Spots Around Cat Ears

Post by savannahcatman »

Hello,
During the past few weeks I have noticed these dark spots appearing around both of my cat's ears as shown in the attached pictures. I have two indoor only cats and right now only one is affected. I have not observed her scratching more at her ears or doing anything abnormal with cleaning herself. At first I thought it might be earwax and rub off, but it seems like her the spots are discolored skin. I've looked inside of her ears and they look normal so I don't think this is mites.

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or know what these might be?

I appreciate the help.p

Thanks!
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: New Spots Around Cat Ears

Post by Mollycat »

Are they raised or just dark flecks?
savannahcatman
New Cat Chatter

Post by savannahcatman »

So they are not raised, it's almost like the skin pigment has changed.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

cats can get freckles where there is scant fur covering - and that is rather what they look like in your photo

does she have direct access to the sun? I'm not sure if freckles can be formed by sun coming through windows
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

savannahcatman wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:47 pm So they are not raised, it's almost like the skin pigment has changed.
Mine has just one of those I believe it's quite common with age. Worth asking the vet next time you're there though, just in case.
savannahcatman
New Cat Chatter

Post by savannahcatman »

Yep she sits in the sun pretty much all day so it sounds like it might be freckles. Thanks for the responses. I'll also double check with the vet during her next checkup.