Am I Being Cruel? Is it time?? Video

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Daisycat1976
Frequent Cat Chatter

Am I Being Cruel? Is it time?? Video

Post by Daisycat1976 »

I posted here several months ago after taking in a beautiful cat old lady called Daisy who is 25 yrs old who has ear cancer and a polyp, enlarged liver and early kidney issues . We thought she would only last a few weeks but 7 months later is still with us. She has been to the best vet in the country several times as she has ups and downs with the ear regarding pain and scratching it. About 4 weeks ago the ear had an abscess the size of a marble burst and we took her to the vet who said ear was also infected so after getting a long lasting antibiotic on top of her regular meds of gabapentin 3 times a day and metacam once a day she improved alot but has went down hill again. Her ear heals well for about 6 days then the scabs annoy her and she scratches them off which means she is sore and won't eat her food for a day as she is sore and then as the meds are in her food she doesn't have pain relief and takes another day to get her back on meds again. Yesterday she scratched her ear badly again so is sore again. I was reading on polyps and was thinking this could be why she is scratching more rather than the scabbing. I have a link of the video below of her sleeping and snoring which I am not sure is normal.

https://youtu.be/_ZvV_F5Uovk

I don't want her in pain as she is a beautiful gentle girl. She still enjoys getting outside for about 10 mins 4 times a day then wants inside to sleep by the radiator.

How bad does a cat have to be before saying goodbye?? I've never been in this situation before and it's extremely difficult as my other pets it was very clear we had to let them go.

Sorry for long post.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Am I Being Cruel? Is it time?? Video

Post by Mollycat »

What an absolute sweetheart. As awful as her ear looks, I would say it has to be up to her. You say with your other pets it's been clear, have faith that Daisy will also let you know when she's had enough. It's just so wonderful of you to have taken her in for what could have been a very short time, when many would have just called it quits at that point. Trust Daisy to tell you. Some say better a day too soon than a day too late. Some say when the bad days outnumber the good days. Or as long as she is still eating she feels well enough to live. I feel they should be ready, if possible, tired of life but not in distress. My Boo a few weeks ago had a brief distress but was through it and into simply tired of life by the time I could call the vet in the morning.

You mean the moaning wheeze when she snores? My Boo made a similar noise for years on and off, but then he was a squashed face breed.
Daisycat1976
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Daisycat1976 »

Thank you Mollycat for your lovely reply. I am sorry you had to say goodbye to Boo. I'm sure your still heartbroken. Sorry for ur loss.

I hope I can tell if Daisy is tired. Now I am sitting beside her and petting her little neck and she is purring but her ear is annoying her alot, and she is shaking her head alot and her ears are flat and I can't help think she is miserable.

She lived in an outside garage in the countryside before we took her in and she has really enjoyed the home comforts. I wish she could enjoy them longer. Though her previous home she had a good life with freedom to safely roam. I was always able to check in on her from time to time to make sure she was OK. I've always been so fond if her and now she is mine I love her so much.

I will see how she is overnight and tomorrow. 😥
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Thank you Daisycat. However long Daisy has left, you know you have shared the best days of her life. Another great little thing I was told once and there's a lot of truth in it - advice is something we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't.

Wonder if you would consider reiki for Daisy to help her last days be more comfortable. It makes a huge difference for Molly.
Daisycat1976
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Daisycat1976 »

Hi Mollycat

Yes I understand what you mean with that statement and sorta was accepting it until Daisy ate her food with both her metacam and gabapentin in it. Fast forward 90 minutes and she is climbing through the shoes in the cloak room!! It's a roller-coaster of emotions for her and myself and day by day at this stage but will see how she goes tomorrow. She needs to regularly be taking her meds but hopefully this dose will kick start her again. Thanks for your reply. Very supportive and helpful. I will check out if anyone near me foes reiki that is a good idea as I have read good things about it x
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Daisy sounds like a special girl. We have distance reiki with a lady who also does animal communication. I can definitely tell she is receiving it though, there is a very clear difference in her. Being distance I'm happy to pm you the lady's contact details if you want.

I know it's so hard to put across to people on a forum how Daisy really is but she certainly seems to appreciate her ninth life with you and want to enjoy it to the full. Trust her.
Daisycat1976
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Daisycat1976 »

Thank you Mollycat for your kind words. I believe she likes our home and does want to stay as long as she can. She ate well overnight and wanted a wee walk this morning though the head shaking was less which is good. She also enjoys her morning neck and face rub with my foot as I eat my breakfast though I am always late for work now as I feel bad stopping too soon!

Yes if u don't mind please pm me the reikki contact as it can definitely do no harm for her. How did Molly improve with reiki? What did u see??
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

For some reason that's the impression that comes through really strongly to me from your posts.

We have reiki for a very different reason. Molly is extremely timid and in some ways semi-feral, she is a non-handling cat and it's taken me a very long time (4 years) just to be able to put one hand either side of her. Big big trust issues but at the same time very loving, but can't be restrained and way too intelligent for her own good. I could only get her in the carrier one time in every three tries and you only get one chance and if you get it wrong she's under the bed for the day. So as she was going for essential treatment, I threw everything at her - PetRemedy, Zylkene, even tried Gabapentin but she wouldn't touch the food with it on, and last resort distance reiki.

On the day we had to go, Molly was under the bed with half an hour to leaving time. Then with 15 minutes to go she came out and went to her radiator bed and I went to give her a cuddle. I didn't want to rush and be impatient, I decided to trust the reiki. So we had a cuddle for 10 minutes or so and then I stood up, picked her up and put her in the carrier - just like that. She complained but she didn't even try to slip out of my hands, it was so easy! So when she had to go again for her check-up I booked her reiki again as a precaution and it was exactly the same again. It's hard to explain but she definitely felt different and more relaxed and accepting. She is very receptive to it though.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

The rescue Lucy is from had a lady who went and did reiki with some of the stressed cats, it did take 5 sessions to make a difference with Lucy and she ended every session by drawing blood! :shock: Maybe distance would work better with her