cat's pee!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Kilann
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

cat's pee!

Post by Kilann »

Any ideas on how to get rid of the stench of cat's pee on a carpet? I have tried carpet shampoo specially for this purpose - to no avail, vinegar & lemon in water, neat vinegar, and the pong is still there. Taking up the carpet is the very last resort as not only is it very firmly stuck down, but emptying the room - which is my office - would be a nightmare. All suggestions gratefully received! Gabi from Maybeloan
Last edited by Kilann on Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: cat's pee!

Post by Ruth B »

You need to get a proper enzyme based cleaner formulated for cat urine, unfortunately as I live in the UK I can't suggest any you might be able to find in the States, normally instead of shampoos, they are ones that you spray on and leave to work as they dry out. If you have a good pet supplies shop they might be able to advise, or if you cat came from a shelter they can probably help.

Another trick i have heard is to spread fullers earth over the area and leave it for several hours, it is very good at absorbing the odour, however as it is often used in some litters for odour control you will need to keep your cat away from the area otherwise they might just look at it as as a giant litter tray.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

Definitely an enzyme cleaner, and several applications may be needed. I have found Simple Solution effective, and I think that is available in the US.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

can't vouch for it personally, but an awful lot of people in the States do

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CKFL93K?aa ... %2032%20oz.