Kitten hides under bed for attention ?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
victoriaxkitten
New Cat Chatter

Kitten hides under bed for attention ?

Post by victoriaxkitten »

Hi guys, I have recently rehomed an 8 week kitten, she has seemed to really adjust well. Slowly but surely. She plays, snuggles, purrs etc. However I have noticed that whenever I am doing work on my laptop (student) and no longer giving her attention... she hides under the bed, stops entertaining herself completely and will eventually fall asleep there. She has done this since we have gotten her though we assumed she was just scared and darted under the bed. I usually lure her out with toys and she carries on playing perfectly fine.
I have never had a cat before and I dont know if this is a normal behaviour?

To emphasise, she will sit there in the same spot not moving ... waiting ? scared ? .... :?:
How can I help her adjust to not having constant attention ? Soon I am back to uni for a couple days a week ...

Thanks !!
victoriaxkitten
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Kitten hides under bed for attention ?

Post by fjm »

It sounds as if under the bed is her safe den - she is happy to play and be with you, but likes to snuggle down to sleep in a dark quiet place. Kittens need a lot of sleep - I would give her a comfy blanket there, make sure she has access to tray, food and water, and let her snooze where she is happy.
victoriaxkitten
New Cat Chatter

Post by victoriaxkitten »

Thank you, thats such a relief to know that!
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

I agree with fjm. She’s just found somewhere quiet that she likes to use as her sleeping den. If you’re a “new” cat owner, do read Vicky Hall’s Cat Confidential, a really good intro into cat psychology.
Lamont Cyrus
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Lamont Cyrus »

the cat is calm there
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Agreed (and so jealous!) it's probably a nice place to sleep cosy and safe while your attention is on something else.

I say jealous because the moment my attention is focused on something my girl does the opposite and starts squeaking or yowling for cuddles or playtime, and as I work from home this can be very trying at times!

Cats are such efficient hunters that they biologically need between 16 and 20 hours sleep a day, kittens even more. It's hard to believe those numbers when they seem to be awake all night playing as loudly as they can!