Kitty Kat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Jhlemmer-kitty
New Cat Chatter

Kitty Kat

Post by Jhlemmer-kitty »

I have a question about my Cat Kitty Kat... She is an indoor cat she is not spayed and she got out side the other day and she was in heat! She was gone for 3 days and I am afraid that she mated with a stray male that hangs out in the area but she came home still in heat! Is it possible for her to have mated and still be in heat?
I was going to get her spayed after she was done her heat cycle but now I guess I shall see what happens!!
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Kitty Kat

Post by fjm »

Yes, it is possible. She is almost certainly pregnant - it is possible to spay in the early stages of pregnancy, and safer then than during heat, so think carefully about the logistics of managing her through pregnancy, birthing, raising a litter and finding homes for them. Without wanting to scare you, there are unpleasant diseases often carried by stray cats that can be transferred during mating and that could also be passed on to any kittens - I would suggest getting her checked by your vet in the next week or two, and asking their advice.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Kitty Kat

Post by booktigger »

Yes, highly likely she is pregnant, I would still book her in for spaying. You don't say how old she is, but if she is a young cat and has complications, you could be looking at £500 for a caesarean (and that was about 7 years ago, could be more now), never mind the cost of the extra food she will need while pregnant and nursing (they can eat up to 6 times as much, mine always had 6 pouches plus unlimited biscuits), then the extra food and litter for the kittens, plus worm and flea treatments. Reputable breeders don't make any money from it.