Obsessive head stretching

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Daisy2000
New Cat Chatter

Obsessive head stretching

Post by Daisy2000 »

Hi There! Hope someone can help.

My cat, Charley, is sometimes while he is sitting obsessively looking upwards, stretching his neck, sometimes even to the point of toppling backwards. Otherwise apparantly fine. What could this be?

This was first noticed after he had a fight last weekend - he had a bad bite on his head and other scratches. He was subdued for a day but after I drained matter from his wound and gave him some anti-inflammatoris he has been back to his normal self apart from this obsessive looking upwards, neck stretching.

I'm worried this is the start of some brain deterioration - but on the other hand as he is so normal in every other way, I fear that dragging him off to the vets is a bit over-dramatic!

Anyone have any ideas or experiences?

Thanks Daisy
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Obsessive head stretching

Post by Mollycat »

I don't think trotting off to see the vet is being overdramatic. Just a wound that needs draining, never mind strange neurological or psychological symptoms, would benefit from professional attention. Cat skin is very loose and the bacteria from the other cat's saliva in deep puncture wounds can be trapped as the skin heals over before the tissue underneath is healed and become badly infected. I would get him checked over to be honest and I'm not the sort to run to the vets for every little thing.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Obsessive head stretching

Post by lilynmitz »

I agree, I really think a vet visit would be advisable, first thing Monday, but if he deteriorates before then, don’t delay in getting him to the surgery.