What breed is my cat?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
adzee10
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

What breed is my cat?

Post by adzee10 »

Previous owner wasn't sure
Canteen lady thinks he's Russian Blue
Friend convinced he's British shorthair
Could be a cross-breed of some sort?

Looking for anyone who has any idea and any defining characterisitics that might give it away??

Thanks
Capture.JPG
Capture 4.JPG
Capture 3.JPG
Capture 2.JPG
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: What breed is my cat?

Post by fjm »

A pure bred Russian Blue should have green eyes when adult - in the photo his eyes appear more yellow, like those of a Blue Burmese. You don't say how old he is (young RBs have yellower eyes), and it is hard to judge his build from the photos, but I would expect a Russian Blue to be slender and oriental in shape, a pedigree British Blue to be cobby with a short, broad head, and a Burmese to tend towards the oriental, while feeling solid when lifted.

But labels don't really matter - he is a very beautiful blue cat, quite possibly a unique mixture, and looks to be much loved, which is the really important thing!
adzee10
New Cat Chatter

Post by adzee10 »

He will be nine years old next month

Don't get me wrong, I am not looking to label him particularly - he is absolutely beautiful - I just want to know his breed so I can read up all about their characters and ensure I am looking after him in the best way possible.

I am a first-time cat owner and we are into week three!

Here are some more pictures which show his body shape better if anyone else has any other thoughts?
Capture 8.JPG
Capture 8.JPG (37.03 KiB) Viewed 798 times
Capture 7.JPG
Capture 7.JPG (28.52 KiB) Viewed 798 times
Capture 6.JPG
Capture 6.JPG (39.91 KiB) Viewed 798 times
Capture 5.JPG
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I can't tell you anything about his breed, except that without a piece of paper to say who his parents were, he will likely be listed as 'Domestic Shorthair'. That takes nothing away from him, he is a beautiful cat. I would suggest reading what you can on all the 'blue' breeds and then seeing what seems to fit, you will probably find he is in a category all of his own.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

He's one beautiful cat and you are lucky to have him! Interested to see that he has a lot of brown in his grey hair, just like my supposedly "blue" 9yr old Maine Coon Tilly!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Breed is about as reliable about character as ethnicity in humans, ie not really at all. As for colour, the colour evolved long before the breed, so you get random colourpoint cats that have no Siamese, Birman, Ragdoll or any other breed in them whatsoever.

He's just a very handsome yellow-eyed blue and blue is genetically speaking a dilute black.