Methionine in Presription Science Diet, etc.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
MNcathouse
New Cat Chatter

Methionine in Presription Science Diet, etc.

Post by MNcathouse »

We've been down this road before. A cat with crystals, and the automatic vet plan to put them on Hill's Science Diet Prescription Urinary Tract food. I thought the active ingredient to acidify the urine was methionine. Is it still in the products, or replaced? If so, with what?

We have been buying tubes of Methigel, which is the methionine in a paw-lick base. A lot of vets never heard of it. But my theory was that if the same ingredient is in the tube, AND the cats don't like the (expensive) prescription product, why bother?

We have had several cats use this with no problem, but the vet seems to ONLY know about Science Diet.

If someone has a can of Science Diet, can you tell me what the active ingredient is?

Thanks from stay-at-home Minnesota!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Methionine in Presription Science Diet, etc.

Post by Mollycat »

Hills are normally very open about their ingredients and constituent analysis, for the prescription range their website has full information on each food. Also they are normally very responsive to emails asking for information. That said I have tried to find the same details for science plan but could only see the Urinary Hairball Control on their website.

Here are the details for prescription c/d dry: https://www.hillspet.co.uk/cat-food/pd- ... hicken-dry I can only suggest emailing or phoning them to ask the question.

Vets have a lucrative sideline recommending one brand, some Hills, some Royal Canin, etc, with a large mark-up. They do not give impartial diet advice tailored to your cat and its condition. So for example they would never recommend or condone supplementing a cat's diet with real meat for a protein boost when they are trying to rebuild muscle after an illness. Vets are not nutritional experts. You only have to hear one suggest "a bland meal of boiled chicken or white fish and rice" to know not to listen to them too much. I'd love to hear from anyone whose sick cat actually eats rice. That meal is suitable for dogs, not cats.

If your cat is happy with the gel and it seems to help, and he doesn't have any underlying kidney issues etc, I would carry on as you are.