Help after paw procedure

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Passwordpunchline
Returning Cat Chatter

Help after paw procedure

Post by Passwordpunchline »

Hi all. My thirteen year old male cat was attacked by my eight year old female resulting in a trip to the vet and some stitches on his hind paw. (We are addressing the females aggression towards him) this was three days ago.

He’s a lovely big guy, loves food and cuddles. But he’s not coped well at all since coming home. He has ate and drank but not lots. Disoriented from the e cone. There are moments when I think he’s getting better but then he has set backs.

He won’t go to the toilet and yesterday his tummy was so full I had to express the urine. He picked up after that. He had been eating ok, just struggling with the e cone. Still very cuddly.

He always sleeps on the bed with me and my hubby but this morning at 5am my hubby woke me up as he had urinated (a lot) and pooed on the bed, poor cat was just laying in it. This doesn’t seem normal to me.

Like I said he’s not coping with the cone, as in seems very down in the dumps and I was expecting that, but I’ve never heard of a cat lay in their own mess. He is on antibiotics for the wound. I know it can cause loose stools in cats but he’s not attempting to go near the litter box.

He’s always been very clean and is a good boy. Can anyone shed light or had anyone had similar experience
Passwordpunchline
Returning Cat Chatter

Re: Help after paw procedure

Also I just had to get soapy water to clean him up as I can’t get his paw stitches wet. But he’s a bit stinky now and can’t groom due to the cone.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

First I would call your vet and ask for advice, just in case there is infection or a reaction to the anaesthetic.

The cone can make using the litter box tricky, and perhaps his sore paw is also discouraging him from digging. Could you try an alternative to the cone - perhaps an improvised soft recovery collar? And think about making access to the tray easier - a larger, shallower tray like a big plant tray, or even a few handfuls of litter on newspaper. If he is reluctant to move I would carry him to it every hour or so, just in case.

I hope the bowel and bladder emptying this morning, though traumatic for you, makes him feel better and he now picks up rapidly.
Passwordpunchline
Returning Cat Chatter

Thank you, poor guy. The vet isn’t open today but il phone tomorrow. They said they are reluctant to see him again because of Covid and wanting visits kept to a minimum.

He looks very sorry for himself. Il take what you said and give it a bash. The vet said a minimum of four days for the cone or alternative so I’m just praying by Tuesday it will be ok to take it off.

Can you recommend anything to wash him down with? Obviously he can’t go in a bath so I wiped him with a damp towel with mild soap on then a wet towel to get the soap off but he’s still a bit stinky
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Have you any bicarbonate of soda? That might help - I have used it as a dry shampoo on dogs, rubbing it gently into the fur and then brushing it out. Otherwise I would just keep wiping him with a warm damp cloth, if he will allow it. Poor lad - time for a comfy bed in a quiet spot and lots of treats, I think. Did the vets give you any pain relief for him?
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Poor lad, it sounds like the attack has hit him both physically and mentally.

While it certainly isn't normal for a cat to lie in their own mess, I wonder if he felt safe and secure with the pair of you on the bed and that is why he decided to empty bowl and bladder there. One I've heard a lot of people using as an alternative to litter at difficult times is puppy training pads, you might be able to pick some up in the local supermarket to save you having to travel to a pet shop at the moment.

If you have a brush for him, try dipping that in a bowl of water, shaking the excess off it and then using it to groom him, rinsing it frequently to get any mess off. Short brush strokes will hopefully also help settle him a bit as it is reminiscent of his mother grooming him as a kitten.

I think you have to prepare yourself that it might be a bit of a longer road to recovery than just the time to heal the leg wound. He was attacked and injured, had to be treated at a vets, then had the horrible cone put on so he can't even wash and feed easily, he is possibly suffering from a form or PTSD, time and love will get him over it. I think if you are careful you could take the cone off for short lengths of time as long as you watch him closely and make sure he doesn't go near the injured leg.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

When you say you're addressing the younger female's aggression, can you explain how that's happening?

I'm wondering, if he is making no attempt to use the litter tray/s to the point of making himself ill, was he there or just leaving the tray when she attacked him?
Are you keeping them entirely separated? I think at this point I would want two closed doors between them at all times, ideally, so that they can't hear or smell each other.
Maybe a brand new litter tray with no trace of her scent and maybe a different brand of litter in it might help too.

Also is the collar absolutely necessary at all times, or could you remove it at least while there is someone there to supervise him? That would give him a break and time to use the tray.

For cleanup you can get pet fur wipes, can't recommend as I have never used them. I would think a fine comb, like a flea comb even, to clean up. Or you can use a pet safe unscented talc and comb him out - a trick I learned for greasy hair, it gives you an extra day or two in an emergency and talc will lift some dirt.

Other than that three days ought to be plenty to be over the anaesthesia but infection and the misery of the collar and confinement and the fear of her attacking him again when he is so vulnerable are bound to add up to a pretty depressed kitty. Is he on any antibiotics and/or painkillers?

A Pet Remedy plug-in could be helpful for him to relax a bit, too. Feliway has a slight burning smell to it but it's also good, though mine don't respond to it at all. A catnip spray lightly over everything that is 'his' during his convalescence could help reassure him too.
Passwordpunchline
Returning Cat Chatter

The younger cat is having a dose of the redirected aggression. She was bathing on the window when an outside cat jumped up. She got a fright and fell off and when she did my male cat was there. She now thinks he tried to attack her. Cat logic.

So we’ve got them separate, feliway etc and going to have to reintroduce them. The vet has checked out and she’s just got a big fright.

Yup he really is a sorry soul today. Yesterday he was eating and drinking but today he’s turned his nose up at cooked chicken. He just looks very depressed. And probably very upset as he’s always been a clean boy.

I’ve took the cone off and he’s not even attempted to groom. He’s having a nap, probably been awake all night from laying in his mess, so il let him sleep.
Passwordpunchline
Returning Cat Chatter

Just to say he’s had some cooked chicken (taken from my hand) not drank though. I’ve got a little syringe I can try him with.

He’s looking a little perkier, cone is still off and no licking of wound.

Could he possibly be in pain? The vet only gave me an antibiotic and no painkiller. He’s walking on his foot ok, o grumbles if I go near it.

Thanks for all your reply’s as well, most helpful and encouraging. He’s never been ill a day, even though I’ve had cats all my days I’ve never had a poorly one
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

If he was in pain I would have thought he would have tried to get to it, though he may be dopey if he has no drive to groom himself. Is he interacting with you, purring or headbutting or anything like that? Or really withdrawn?

As you know cat's don't drink much so I wouldn't set too much by that. If the chicken was boiled it would have roughly the right amount of water in it for him, if roasted or grilled it may be a bit dry. If you're concerned about his fluids you can try offering chicken cooking water, vegetable cooking water, or the water from a can of tuna in spring water (obviously not brine!) 50/50 with plain water. My cat tolerates and loves dairy so I have the options of a little ice cream, yoghurt etc if need be, though dairy is so frowned upon because some adult cats can't tolerate it that don't tell anyone I said that, I will deny everything!
Passwordpunchline
Returning Cat Chatter

Thank you for the advice. Apart from this morning he’s remained very cuddly. He finished off the chicken and jumped back onto the bed with me to watch a movie. He’s purring and rubbing his face, which is a great feeling.

I popped the collar back on for half an hour as he began grooming and licked his paw, it’s off again so il just ensure he’s not going for it.

Yes, he doesn’t seem in pain, and walking fine so maybe you guys are right. I’m just paranoid that he’s getting into his autumn years and I’d hate him to lose his dignity and be in pain.

I’ve bought some cat attract litter and some of those cat grooming wipes. Hopefully he’s just in a grumpy
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

It does sound as if he is coming around, and it is not too much longer to keep the collar on when you are not able to watch him.
Passwordpunchline
Returning Cat Chatter

Sadly my old boy had a major dip and I took him straight in to see the vet who said he had a catastrophic brain haemorrhage.

There was just nothing that could be done, and it all happened very fast. So my poor boy went to sleep. The vet said he was in terrible pain.

I’m so bereft. I don’t know what to do
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

So sorry for your sudden loss, sure he will be sorely missed. Must have been a terrible shock for you, beginning with a simple bite and ending so tragically. Be kind to yourself and give yourself all the time you will need to come to terms.
Passwordpunchline
Returning Cat Chatter

So very sad. My house isn’t the same and my wee female cat is so down as well. Poor guy.