Kitty UTI HELPPP!!!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
davyjones
New Cat Chatter

Kitty UTI HELPPP!!!

Post by davyjones »

Hi, I have a 22 week old kitten. He was litter trained until he got a UTI. I have two questions...
1. He has been on antibiotics for a week now, but is still peeing blood. Is this concerning or will it take more time?
2. How do I get him to only go in his litter box again? he still uses his litter box, but he keeps peeing on things like towels, the dog bed, pillows, etc.
Any advice would be AMAZING!! Thank you in advance.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Kitty UTI HELPPP!!!

Post by fjm »

On the matter of blood I would ask your vet - they should be happy to do at least a phone consultation to advise you.

On litter trays it sounds as if he may now associate the tray with pain, or simply be so desperate that he pees on the nearest absorbent surface. I would remove anything precious, cover as much as possible, and provide more trays or tray substitutes. Once he is better you can gradually reduce the number again. Are you cleaning with an enzyme cleaner or dilute vinegar to remove the smell of urine? That may help to redirect him, too.