Anyone know what mg’s prednisolone pills come in?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Anyone know what mg’s prednisolone pills come in?

Post by fjm »

I have recently started Poppy on 2 x 1mg, rather than .5 x 5mg - as far as I know there is nothing in between. As close as I can measure the 1mg tablets are 5mm in diameter, the 5mg are 6.5mm/7mm. Hope that helps!
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Trying to reduce - my vet suggested "tickling it down" from half a 5mg tablet to 2 x 1mg, with a view to reducing it further in a few weeks. Poppy is delighted - two lumps of chicken instead of just one! Shape and size really are not a problem for her - she is a greedy dog rather than a fastidious cat, and provided a tablet is swathed in chicken she can't wait for the next dose. The 1mg are considerably more expensive, though - they come foil packed rather than loose, and are at least double the price of the 5mg pills. More than worth it to get the dosage right, of course.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

There is very little difference in size between the 1mg and 5mg, and it would probably be even more difficult to get 5 tablets into her than 1. Loving food so much does make Poppy's life (and mine) much, much easier - she is on three different medications, at least once a day. Last week there were two daily doses of metronidazole as well... The downside is that she is constantly hunting for food and no matter how careful I am sometimes finds things she should not be eating - hence the metronidazole.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Have you tried Pill Pockets or Easy Pill?

A delicious paste made for hiding pills in.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Fingers crossed, I tried liquid renatadine thinking it would be easier but it wasn't