Feeding

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Dave1922
Returning Cat Chatter

Feeding

Post by Dave1922 »

Hi
I have a year old spayed female house cat, I don't want to get into the argument about wet food, whole food and dry food.

My question, is Go Cat Indoor cat food any good, there are many online reviews, they mostly say that its very good, what are your thoughts.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Feeding

Post by fjm »

The first listed ingredient is "cereals", the second is "meat and animal derivatives 10%" - I think that tells you all you need to know. High in carbohydrates, low in good quality animal protein. Compare that with Purizon Adult Cat dry food, as an example:
Ingredients 30% deboned fresh chicken, 28% dried chicken meat, 18% potatoes, 5% chicken fat, 1.5% powdered egg, 1.5% fresh deboned herring, 1.5% dried herring, fish oil (100% herring oil), hydrolysed animal protein, pea fibre, dried carrots, 1.6% dried alfalfa, inulin, fructo-oligosaccharides, mannan oligosaccharides, 0.5% dried pomegranate, dried apple, dried spinach, 0.3% psyllium, dried black currents, dried orange, dried blueberries, sodium, dried yeast, 0.2% turmeric root, 0.12% glucosamine, 0.09% chondroitin sulphate

It is worth buying a better quality food if your cat will eat it, even if it is more expensive. Portions are usually smaller for the same level of nutrition, which off sets the higher price, and poos in particular are usually smaller and less smelly!
Dave1922
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Dave1922 »

Hi fjm

Thank you for your answer, not heard of Purizon before.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Go Cat generally isn't viewed as one of the better options, but if your cat likes it then it might be the best option for you.

Mine are on a mix of wet food at set meal times and dried freely available, they have Purina One because I have tried other brands and ended up throwing a load a way. As long as the cat food is described as 'complete' as opposed to 'supplementary' or 'complimentary' then it is fine and will give the cat all the nutrients they need.

The only thing I will add is that if you are only feeding dried food then you do need to try and make sure they drink enough water, a cat's natural diet in the wild has enough water in the food they eat so they are not normally natural drinkers, dried food, of course does not contain the water needed.
Dave1922
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Dave1922 »

Ruth B wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:58 pm Go Cat generally isn't viewed as one of the better options, but if your cat likes it then it might be the best option for you.

Mine are on a mix of wet food at set meal times and dried freely available, they have Purina One because I have tried other brands and ended up throwing a load a way. As long as the cat food is described as 'complete' as opposed to 'supplementary' or 'complimentary' then it is fine and will give the cat all the nutrients they need.

The only thing I will add is that if you are only feeding dried food then you do need to try and make sure they drink enough water, a cat's natural diet in the wild has enough water in the food they eat so they are not normally natural drinkers, dried food, of course does not contain the water needed.
Thank you for your help, I have been feeding her on James Wellbeloved but all types are turkey, I saw Go Cat chicken and thought it would make a change, I will look at getting her on a brand that offers variety and good nutrition at a reasonable price.
She loves to play with water and drinks plenty of water.
Any advice is much appreciated.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I wouldn't worry too much about using an indoor only dry food, and trying the other James Wellbeloved flavours would be better than Go Cat
Dave1922
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Dave1922 »

booktigger wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:30 pm I wouldn't worry too much about using an indoor only dry food, and trying the other James Wellbeloved flavours would be better than Go Cat
Thank you
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Post by Sniper1 »

Go for better quality as with most things in life you generally get what you pay for even the regular supermarkets generally have better quality choices indoor only is really not necessary normal food will be fine
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

I believe Go-Cat is pretty much muck but as a general comment I'm pretty sure indoor cat food has two features - lower calories to cater for lower need, and higher vegetable content to compensate for not having access to grass. You can also buy grass tablets :roll:

Eating grass is a natural drive for cats and I can't recommend enough making it available to indoor kitties. Here's a video of my Molly who admittedly is truly crazy for it, and her reaction to a new tray when as you see there is still one down for them. If I don't have some grown I have to pick a handful from outside every day for her, and she reminds me! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqoquoh-dNg

As for dry food, I was never convinced until the past 3 months when I have been nursing my own loose tooth and so not chewing at all on my left side. I'm really surprised at how much difference it makes to tartar build-up. I can't recommend one though as mine have only had Hills for one issue or another (renal, weight loss, and sensitive tums) and although the ingredients are not great they have all served their purpose.
Dave1922
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Dave1922 »

Thank you all for your help, I have purchased a bag of Cadagan food.