Timid cat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Caravan14
New Cat Chatter

Timid cat

Post by Caravan14 »

I've got 3 cats 1 6y/o and 2 3y/olds. The 3 y/ olds are brother and sister, the 6y/old is male and happily plays with the other male cat and sits with me and any visitors. The other male cat is happy with me and other people. But the female will only come near me and disappears whenever anybody else comes in. And will seclude herself from the other 2 cats. Is this anything to be worried about or relatively normal behaviour for a cat.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Timid cat

Post by Mollycat »

Could be just her character, have how long have you had them and has she always been like this or did she change from being confident to timid?
Caravan14
New Cat Chatter

Post by Caravan14 »

I've had her from a kitten and she has always been the same. But it always makes me feel sorry for her when I have to leave her.to go to work. I'd love to see her play with the other 2 cats.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Nah nothing to be concerned about.

I was told when I was forced to look for a companion for my stressed out lonely boy that boys are much more sociable than girls and share a home much more readily - unless the girls are related and stay together, in which case they are often very close. And the only other boy I had was also a cat that would not tolerate being alone, he moved in while we had a resident cat and would go out recruiting new housemates to move in, while still seeing off unwanted intruders.

But regardless of gender differences, some cats keep themselves to themselves and prefer not to be pawed and gawped at by strangers, some can stick around and be aloof while others have urgent business to attend to elsewhere. Just like us really, extrovert, introvert. Keeping a little distance from the boys, yes, that's a normal personality difference.

I have one really odd question for you though. Were she and her brother the last kittens in the litter to leave for their new home? Or do you know if she was especially close to a litter mate that left before her? Only, if she has witnessed strangers coming into her home and her littermates vanish one by one, well, you never know what they make of it or how it could affect them. If she believes she stayed safe by hiding, she will have long ago forgotten why she hides but the habit can be very persistent.
Caravan14
New Cat Chatter

Post by Caravan14 »

Thanks for that it puts my mind at rest. As it happens they were the last 2 and we did only take her brother at first but I felt so guilty splitting them up I went back an hour later and got her as well.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Wow that's interesting. I asked because it was mentioned by an animal communicator I watched on You-tube, it made sense but that's the first time I have ever mentioned the idea to anyone.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Found it! The bit about the others being taken away is at 11.40 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=101fDDM1qz0
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieJulie »

Have you considered setting up a kitty cam to see how they behave when you are not around?
I think for me whether it was an issue would depend on whether your girl is unhappy or just timid.

You can pick them up for around £20 off Amazon, and mine have been worth their weight in gold to keep an eye on poorly cats or whilst I'm away (making sure the cat sitter turns up - she knew about the cams.) Get an SD card if you don't want to pay the cloud fees and they will record aswell either on a loop or motion activated.
I finally found the culprit for peeing on my worktops aswell.