Mammary tumors treatment

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
marceld
New Cat Chatter

Mammary tumors treatment

Post by marceld »

Hello everyone!

Need some advice on cancer treatment in cats.
My cat is 13 and she was diagnosed with mammary tumors (some maybe even 2cm and 2 nipples are inflated), somewhere about 5 months. At the time doctor said that it might not be cancer for now, but will probably transform to.

He advised surgery as soon as possible, we refused and decided to try some herbal tinctures (Conium), couch grass and probiotics. And looks like it helped, they stopped growing, nipples decreased in size a bit.
But Conium is poisonous so we had to take some breaks with it. Ive stopped treatment 2-3 weeks ago and now these inflated nipples changed color to red with some dark blue spots.

Reading through internet Ive found out that some people used Bromocriptine (Bromocriptin-Richter) in treatment of cancerous tumors in cats (even though it is supposed to be used on humans).

As for the cat: she eats, sleeps, washes herself and likes caressing. Of course I can't say for sure if she doesn't suffer pain, but imo her overal "mood" is ok.

So what do you think of Bromocriptine and are there any alternatives to treat mammary tumors without surgery? What's your expirience of treating cancer in cats?

Image of one of the two inflated nipples:
https://imgur.com/a/ocYX2d4

Thank you.
Marcel.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Mammary tumors treatment

Post by fjm »

I am not quite sure why you are so against surgery, especially as at that stage the tumours were probably benign and surgery would have prevented them progressing to malign. I would find a vet that you can trust and ask them about treatment options - online anecdotes, even on a dedicated forum, are no substitute for evidence based advice from a trained, qualified and experienced vet.

When I found a tiny mammary lump on one of my dogs we scheduled surgery as soon as possible. It proved to be benign, she made a rapid recovery, and no further treatment was needed.
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Post by Sniper1 »

I would not hesitate to have the surgery mammary tumours are very risky especially if more than one and what the actual tumour looks like from outside means nothing you can't see inside whether it's spreading to the chest or lungs which is very common
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

I have had one cat with cancer and I took the vet's advice and had the surgery. It was skin cancer on the nose planum. It came back and when it did again we discussed options with the vet and decided on the next step as a team, owners and professionals.
marceld
New Cat Chatter

Post by marceld »

thank you everyone, cats poorly rehab surgery risks are high,
we live in province of russia so there are no qualified doctors even for humans (not to mention cats).
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

I see the worry, no experience of using anything else though. I did wonder where you get hold of those kind of chemicals!
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I think I would try for a remote online vet consultation - you may even be able to contact a university veterinary department.