Resident cat depressed after vacation

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Sam1234
New Cat Chatter

Resident cat depressed after vacation

Post by Sam1234 »

Hi everyone.
I've had a rescue cat (male) for about 2 years. Very sweet, calm, cuddly guy. I have recently adopted another rescue (2 year old female) and we were going through the introduction processs. The male seemed ok, but the female was more agressive and causing issues. It was a very slow process but steady. Unfortunately, I made a big mistake later on. When going on holiday for a week, the female stayed at home, and a friend came over each day to feed, clean the litterbox etc. The male went to another friend's house - as every holiday before and he was fine there, as always. After the holiday, huge disaster followed.The female is very happy, relaxed now, she is like a new cat. The male is now severly depressed, hides, won't eat, is letharegic, refuses to play or be cuddled.. I handfeed him but still he barely eats. It is breaking my heart!!! From the cuddliest guy who snuggled with me every morning to a cat who wont even look at me. :((( The vet checked him, there is nothing physically wrong with him. She thinks the female took over his teritory while he was gone, and that is why he is depressed. How do I fix this? I bought Feliway, it has been on for 24 hrs but no effect yet. They are now separated in different rooms but the male doesnt come out of the room anyway. What to do next? I really want to try everything possible before rehoming.
Please help!!!
Sam1234
New Cat Chatter

Re: Resident cat depressed after vacation

Post by Sam1234 »

Anyone???
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Sorry I don't think I can be much help. You've done everything right by the book as soon as you realised there was a problem, and that's not solving it. You obviously put a lot of care and thought into the way you handle your cats and the decision to leave her at home and move him to your friend's house must have been carefully considered, but unfortunately it has backfired and she has thought, "Yippee I saw off that other pesky cat and now I have the place all to myself!!"

Can your new girl be confined so that there are always two doors between them? You haven't restarted introductions have you? He needs to settle before you can put him under the stress of reintroductions again. You might find PetRemedy more effective than Feliway, we can smell it more but it doesn't have that burning edge to it and for some cats it's more effective. Don't use both at once.

How much time are you spending with him, compared to how much time you spent with him before? Is your snuggly loving boy getting all the snuggles and love he always used to get? How long has it been since you got home? If it's only been a couple of days, give it time.
Sam1234
New Cat Chatter

Post by Sam1234 »

Hi, thank you so much for responding.
I just wanted to.share the update on my cat. Unfortunately, it turned out it wasnt psychological/behavioural. After further testing, it turned out he has an auto immune disease, a very low red cell count. He had to be put on blood transfusion, stereoids etc. It has been a heavy battle, but I have not given up on him. I just hope we werent too late, he really misled us, and the vet too!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Wow thank you for the update and all best wishes to you both for his full recovery. Just goes to show no matter how much we think the problem is obvious, a physical exam is always worthwhile.