Advice please

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Lynne Phillpot1963
Frequent Cat Chatter

Advice please

Post by Lynne Phillpot1963 »

Hi, We have had Rummy now for nearly 3 months and she is settling in well. Rummy is venturing downstairs but will only stay if either the television or radio is off, she doesn't seem to be comfortable when they are on. Bonfire night I put a radio on in the back bedroom where she like to hang out but wouldn't go in there until the radio was turned off, does anyone have any suggestions on how to approach this so that Rummy can spend more time with us downstairs when we have the TV on or the Radio. Any replies greatly appreciated.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Advice please

Post by Kay »

a new one on me - I've never had a cat afraid of radio or TV - most seem to understand it isn't 'real' noise - I have a photo somewhere of a long-deceased Siamese sleeping on top of TV (back when they were hefty objects) while Crufts dog show went on below her

I think I'd be tempted to shut Rummy in the room whilst you are there, with the radio/TV on lowish, and reassure her loads, and distract her with play too
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I wouldn't force her to spend time in a room with something she is uncomfortable with, after just 3 months you could end up with a setback, she clearly isnt a confident cat
Lynne Phillpot1963
Frequent Cat Chatter

Thank you for replies, shutting her in isn't an option...we have come quite a long way with Rummy since adopting her and we certainly don't want a setback. I have brought a couple of catnip toys today and have put them downstairs so that when she comes down she can play with them if she wants, (she has other toys upstairs too) will try the radio and tv at lower volumes and gradually build up as she gets more confident.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I would try play and a scattering of treats with the radio on and the volume turned very low. Once she realises the sounds are not "real" turn the volume up gradually, always making sure she is the one to choose whether to be around or not.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I would go with the low volume option as well, and associate it with nice things like play, treats or food. Also try and have something that is nice and gentle on, nothing loud or with sudden noises.

When we got Freyja and Saturn my two youngest, Freyja was extremely nervous and would hide most of the time we were around. The only room we could keep them in was the lounge,which wasn't the best option. In a morning we would get breakfast, feed the resident cat and then go into the lounge with our breakfasts and the juniors' breakfasts. As we sat quietly eating Freyja slowly started to come out for her breakfast as well. we watched Breakfast News most mornings and the timing meant that the weather was normally on when we sat down to eat. I'm sure Freyja learnt to associate Carol Kirkwoods voice with it being safe to come out and of course the weather forecast is normally something, nice and calm to listen to.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Agree with others try the volume very low and gradually build up her tolerance. Could be some of the frequencies humans can't hear are uncomfortable for Rummy for whatever reason, not necessarily the whole of radio or TV. She seems very able to communicate her feelings to you anyway which is wonderful.

I wonder if it's possible she associates loud TV or radio with humans in the past trying to cover up the noise of scary fireworks, or something like that? Just a thought. How did she cope with fireworks?
Lynne Phillpot1963
Frequent Cat Chatter

Thank you for replies everyone...it is much appreciated.
We are going to start with a low volume and scatter treats and toys for her.
Rummy wasn't too bad with the fireworks, she didn't like the loud bangs or the one's that have a high pitch noise to them, she took herself off behind the wardrobe.