NEED GROOMING ADVICE!!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Jjamm
New Cat Chatter

NEED GROOMING ADVICE!!

Post by Jjamm »

Hi All,

I'm looking for advice regarding grooming.

My dad's cat is 18 years old and is a long haired fluff ball. His fur has got extremely matted, especially under the armpits, which we think is restricting his movements. The vets won't entertain us due to it being a non-emergency through Covid. But we can't leave him like this!!!
Can anyone recommend an over the counter tranquilizer/anything else that we can give him to keep him calm... Atm there's no chance he lets us near him and we don't want to stress him out anymore than we have to being an old man that he is

Thanks in advance!!!!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: NEED GROOMING ADVICE!!

Post by Mollycat »

If the vet is any kind of vet they should be able to sell you something like Gabapentin or similar, and not be so dismissive. A lot of animals have been waiting patiently through all this for restrictions to ease and are in urgent if not emergency need, and they should understand that.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

In the UK even groomers are allowed to operate when it is necessary for animal welfare, so I find it hard to understand how a vet can refuse to help. I think you need to emphasise that the cat is in pain and needs a shave down, either at the vet's, or with sedation provided by the vet.
Jjamm
New Cat Chatter

Post by Jjamm »

Thank you for taking the time to reply!

We have contacted a couple of groomers and waiting on their reply. Hopefully someone will be able to help.

He's been an outdoor cat all his life and my dad does try and groom him regularly or when the cat allows it to happen... He doesn't care too much for being brushes. It was only today that we noticed the underneath (one side) and think something has got stuck and worked it's way into the coat.

I was so surprised myself that the vets weren't much help, as we did say that we think the cat would probably be feeling discomfort. Felt like they couldn't get off the phone quick enough and offered little advice other than "you can buy over the counter med/remedies". No suggestions of which ones would be best etc.

Thanks again for you help and suggestions! Much appreciated!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I'm not surprised the vet won't give something like Gabapentin, as it isn't designed for short term use and can't just be stopped, but they should be able to offer something.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

booktigger wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:18 pm I'm not surprised the vet won't give something like Gabapentin, as it isn't designed for short term use and can't just be stopped, but they should be able to offer something.
Really? My vet gave me one single dose for Molly to get her in the carrier to go for her radioiodine treatment. I sprinkled it on her food and she refused to touch it, but that's what they did. And the hospital sent her home with two capsules as well but I have no idea what they thought I was meant to do with those. Snoop dog is on it for 2 weeks at the moment, review tomorrow.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

While I can't give advice regarding sedation for him, what I will suggest is getting a fine toothed metal comb, something like a flea comb, and a sharp pair of scissors, a pair with rounded tips would probably be a good idea. We used to have a Ragdoll that went outside and like to sit in the rain, if I wasn't careful grooming him after he dried out he could easily get matted, I tried clipping him myself, and he was laid back enough for me to do it, but I never got the hang of it. I found the best method of dealing with any matts was to slide the teeth of the metal comb between his skin and the matt and then trim very carefully just above the combs teeth. It may only be a couple of teeth that you can get in and only two or three hairs to start with, but if you are prepared to take it slowly you can get through some major matts this way. The metal teeth of the comb mean you aren't in danger of cutting the skin, you just have to be prepared to take it steady and only cut where the comb is protecting him. I managed to use the same technique on my Mothers long haired cat when she couldn't get to the vets to get her clipped. She didn't like being groomed (the cat not my mother) but with one person to hold her and one to work on a matt we managed to get them all out over about 3 visits, it was just a matter of learning when she had had enough and leaving at that for the time being. I think while she didn't like it, she learnt that it wasn't hurting her, we weren't pulling on her hair to try and get it out and afterwards she did feel a little better.