Gabapentin for arthritis

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Sooty16
New Cat Chatter

Gabapentin for arthritis

Post by Sooty16 »

I took my 16 year old to the vet as she was limping. Vet said there is nothing broken or out of place. He said it could be arthritis and gave
me gabapentin and loxicom. These don't seem to be working as i can see she still struggling to walk and sometimes I have to carry her.Is there anything else that i can ask the vet for and how long does it take for gabapentin take to work.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Gabapentin for arthritis

Post by fjm »

I have found seraquin, available online without a prescription, quite helpful for Pippin's severe arthritis - Yu-Move is similar but he won't eat that; gabapentin seemed to make little difference but the loxicom (metacam) really helps.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

What does of gabapentin did the vet give? Lucy has been on it since lockdown and it helps her, but we had to mess with the dose a bit
Sooty16
New Cat Chatter

Post by Sooty16 »

He gave me 100mg but i am just to give her 1 if a fifth of the capsul twice a day.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

It might be it's not a high enough dose - Lucy started on 0.2 (although she only has it once a day) and has just gone up to 0.5 as her appetite is a bit low at the moment.