Peaches hurt

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Peaches hurt

Post by Crewella »

Little Peaches didn't come in last night. I was concerned, but not all that worried as it's been hard to get them back into the nightly lockdown routine since we moved to this house, and especially since the weather improved - I've been out with a torch looking for one or other of the crew most nights recently.

However, no sign of her this morning either, which did get me worried, so I went out searching. Finally heard a faint squeak from the garage, and found her huddled behind an old piano against the garage wall, and I could see her nose was all scraped and bloody. Took me forever to get her out of there, but bless her she finally let me get to her and get her in a carrier and off to the vets.

She has scrapes and bruising all down one side of her head and above her eye, and her claws are scuffed and torn, so we think she must have been hit a glancing blow by a car. She's had pain relief and anti-inflammatories and the vet has let her come home - being an ex-feral we both agreed home was the best place for her, and I'm watching her like a hawk. Poor little girl was just curling up like a hedgehog at the vets, but the pain relief must have kicked in when she got home, as she slunk of gratefully to her bed and came out later for a little food. I've just been out to get her some Gourmet pate, as I suspect she won't find it too easy to chew for a little while.

So I have everything crossed but think I can breathe again, she's subdued, but herself. One very lucky little cat, who has, I think, used up a few of her lives - I'm so very grateful that she had the sense to come home, and to respond when I called her.
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Peaches hurt

Post by HRHFluffy »

Oh Helen!! I can't believe it. Not little Peaches. Poor baby girl. You must have been out of your mind with worry. She's had a very lucky escape hasn't she. What does Daz think of it all? His faithful little friend has been hurt. Feel really sorry for Peaches and for you. Sending big hug to you and a very very gentle cuddle to the baby girl xxx I hope she feels better soon. Glad the pain relief is working. What a worry you've had. Keep us up to date with her progress.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thanks, it has been a bit of a tough day.

Both Daz and Nellie have poked their noses into her igloo, only to be growled at, so everybody is just leaving her be for the moment. I suspect she has one heck of a headache, so I don't blame her.

Gentle scritch, one her good side, passed on. xx
Camdengirl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Camdengirl »

Poor Peaches :( but at least she's home safe now. Fingers crossed she feels much better tomorrow after a good rest. Very gentle fusses when she's feeling up to them x
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Poor girl :(

At least it sounds like no major damage and she is back home with her mum & dad. Poor baby.
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Shelly and Dora »

Oh Helen how awful.

I'm so glad she's home & the medication is kicking in.

((Hugs)) to you & very gentle fusses to Peaches x
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Oh Helen, your darling little girl. I am so relieved that the outcome wasn't worse. How upsetting for you and the gang. Softest kisses to dear Peaches. I hope she has the sense to stay away from the roads now. Xx
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by hgale »

Poor Peaches, I'm glad she can recover now.

Some gentle fuss on her good side from me too!
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

Oh no :(

Your poor girl, I hope she's feeling a bit brighter today but she's probably going to ache like mad for a couple of days, thank goodness you found her.

Gentle fusses from me, hope Daz is holding up ok with his girl off colour xx
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Oh Helen, what a worry. Thank goodness Peaches obviously trusted you enough to make herself heard - poor girl :(

From memory when Jamie was knocked by a car it took about 4 days for her to start feeling well enough to be nearly normal mobile so do be prepared that Peaches will be happy in her igloo for a few days yet.

Fusses to Peaches x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thanks everyone. xx

She's doing better than expected, actually. She came into the living room to sleep on a chair near us last night, and has been up and eaten all her breakfast. This was her last night, her little pink nose all scabby.
Attachments
P1010193.JPG
P1010193.JPG (143.18 KiB) Viewed 8002 times
P1010192.JPG
P1010192.JPG (172.55 KiB) Viewed 8002 times
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Awww poor baby girl!! It is good that she can relax and sleep like that. Judging by her position she is comfortable which is a relief. Glad she is interested in food. Sounds like she wants extra tlc at the moment. Who can blame her. I can see her poorly nose :( Please give her a very gentle kiss from me xxx
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Oh poor little Peaches. Thank heaven she got home to you, and wasn't more seriously hurt. This happened to Mo twice, but each time it just left him stiff, bruised and concussed, and he soon recovered after a rest and some pain relief. Hope Peaches is back to her old self soon.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I have to say, that the time I spent 'hassling' her after she came to live with me really paid off yesterday. I've got cats that don't like being picked up, and I usually respect their feelings, but with Peaches being a 'feral' I felt she had no concept of human contact, so I did pick her up now and again, and ignored the hissing and stroked her until she purred. She's naturally a sunny, purry little cat who made 'blinky eyes' at me from the back of the pen when I first saw her.

She still has feral cat instincts. When she wants to go out she comes to get me to go and open the door. I get up to follow her, she goes 'OMG she's following me!' and hides under the furniture, I stop, she goes on another few feet until she realises I'm following her again and hides again until eventually we make it to the door and I scritch her ears and she goes out. She comes up for a stroke and comes when called, but completely on her own terms - focus too much attention on her and she runs off.

Yesterday I was so grateful that she came home, but also that she let me pick her up and carry her indoors. She still didn't like it, but she wasn't scared. I can't tell you how proud I am of her.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

It's very special when that bond of trust shows itself in spite of their earlier instincts. You've done a wonderful job with Peaches, and her life is all the richer for it.
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Helen I totally agree that you have done a brilliant job with Peaches. She proved yesterday that she really does trust you and she recognises that you are the one to look after her. I'm so pleased that she responded to you when you were calling her and that she had come home.

She may never totally lose her feral ways. You might have to go through that "going to the door" routine for some time yet. Harvey was a little like that. Didn't like sudden movements and certainly didn't like anyone following him. I was looking forward to him slowly overcoming that :(

Your girl has done you proud and your persevering in picking her up for a quick cuddle has certainly paid off. Give her another gentle fuss from me xxx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

You have done such an amazing job with Peaches, bless her, she obviously trusts you so much....so pleased that she came back to you when she was hurt, that shows how she really trusts you........you should be proud of yourselves for the work you have done to make her feel that way...........what a credit to you....x
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

How's Peaches doing today Helen?
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Helen I've been thinking about the little girl too. How is she? And how are you?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thank you all for your kind words. I did feel quite guilty about forcing myself on her at the time, but I'm so glad I did it now. :)

She's doing remarkably well, all things considering. She's eating well, and went out for a couple of hours last night but was back much earlier than usual. She still looks a bit battered, but the scrapes seem to be healing well too. I gave up on feeding the pate when she started stealing Basil's crunchies! It's amazing how resilient they are, and how she can bouncs back so quickly! :)
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

I'm so relieved that she seems to be doing so well. It is amazing how resilient they can be. Sometimes I wish we could be the same!! I'm glad she's stealing Basil's crunchies. Proves that her injuries haven't affected her appetite. Give her gentle fusses from me.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

That all sounds good Helen. Let's hope she's a bit more wary off the road now.
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

What a lucky girl! I've been through this myself, but unfortunately Lily was much more seriously injured. Are you going to try to keep Peaches in once she recovers, or is that an impossible ask? I freaked after Lily was hurt and just couldn't risk it again - I lived in the city then and had my balcony enclosed. She adjusted very well, as she has here, but they still want their unrestrained freedom, no matter how much room they have in their enclosure. :( :!: Hope you are doing OK now.
Scatty
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Scatty »

Oh bless her. Glad she seems to be feeling much better today. :D
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Helen! Poor Peaches and poor you! I'm sorry I missed this at the weekend - thank goodness your little girl is making a recovery and you found her. It does very much sound like she had a scrape with a vehicle but is doing really well and has learned to trust you even more for rescuing her.

I do hope she's back to her bouncy little self soon xxx Gentle fusses from me and my girls xxx
Camdengirl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Camdengirl »

Crewella wrote:I have to say, that the time I spent 'hassling' her after she came to live with me really paid off yesterday. I've got cats that don't like being picked up, and I usually respect their feelings, but with Peaches being a 'feral' I felt she had no concept of human contact, so I did pick her up now and again, and ignored the hissing and stroked her until she purred.
I did the same with my ex-feral Pip, I had to take her to the vet within a couple of weeks of her arrival (she had 'visitors') and I had to trick her out from under the bed and then make a grab for her as she shot past. Her paws cycled round like a cartoon animal's and she hissed and spat furiously. She was equally antisocial in the consulting room! I didn't want her to associate being picked up with trips to the vet, so when she started venturing within reach I began picking her up, holding her for a few seconds and then gently putting her down again. I would definitely do the same again, I think it's important to get a cat used to being handled because then if they are injured or sick it's not an added stress for them.

I hope Peaches is continuing to make a good recovery, and that Daz is being suitably gentle with his little girlfriend!
Willowgill
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Willowgill »

Oh gosh poor Peaches - what a shock for you but thank goodness you found her and she's doing ok. Hopefully she might now be more wary of going far from home. The description of her wanting to go out reminds me of my Daphne who was also partly feral. She hides behind the door and growls at it as it opens, she growls and hisses and runs away if I follow her, she hisses at Max who walks into her being blind but doesn't go for him as she does Alfie. I have had her nearly 3 years now and still can't pick her up to apart from last thing at night as I give her her supper biscuits when I am allowed a 'pick up' and short stroke before she struggles to get to the dish. And yet she loves me to bits and needs to know where i am at all times. I would love to know what goes on in her little head!
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

I'm so glad to hear that Peaches is recovering well. Poor little girl. She must have had such a nasty shock. I hope she realises how lucky she was and will be more careful. Fusses to your beautiful girl. Hope you're feeling okay, Helen. What a nasty do for you too.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thanks everyone. She's definitely more herself again now, and the swelling has gone down on the side of her face. Daz has been a perfect gent, bless him, and refrained from the mad chasing they usually do around the house. He's also suddenly started trying to bring mice and shrews in - I assumed they were for me, but of course they might be 'get well soon' gifts for Peaches. Sorry Daz, no rodents in the sickroom. ;)

Peaches loves to go out, and was originally found in a duck house with her kittens having spent her first two years fending for herself. I don't have the heart to stop her, and as we have such a lot of land around us and just the one road, I'm praying that this will have taught her to keep away from that one side of the garden. We've blocked all the holes and the gate, but the main wall along the road has so many trees growing up next to it that it's impossible to stop them from climbing out if they really want to. I will keep locking them in at night, though, when the road is quieter but faster.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Oh my, that Daz just melts my heart, bringing get well soon presents for his girl.

Pleased she's on the mend, you must be mighty relieved.