Need help with Metacam dose.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
CJ1603
Frequent Cat Chatter

Need help with Metacam dose.

Post by CJ1603 »

Morning all, I'm pretty sure my cat has cystitis again and so I have bought out a bottle of Metacam we kept in the cupboard from when she last had it.

However, I cannot remember exactly how much to give her as it isn't specified on the instructions.

We have the 0.5mg/ml suspension and have the syringe to administer it.

She weighs 5.4kg so am I right in thinking I draw back on the syringe to the 5.4 point?
CJ1603
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: Need help with Metacam dose.

Post by CJ1603 »

And how many tomes a day do they have it?

I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow but I want to try and get some antibiotics into her in the meantime.
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

I think Metacam is a pain killer, not an antibiotic, though if she had this medication last time I wouldn't worry.
I looked up what my Tipsy had for back spasms a while ago and it was 0.5mL once per day. She weighs about 4.8kg.
If you are unsure, leave it until tomorrow.
Fusses to your puss.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Metacam is a painkiller and anti-inflammatory - I used to have a bottle handy for when my Daz got cystitis. You're right - the syringe is graded according to the weight of the cat so just over 5 should do it, once a day. If you do keep Metacam for any time, it's a good idea to keep it in the fridge.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

I agree with the others. The latest professional advice is to dose for 'the expected lean weight' of a cat. I doubt a 5.4kg cat carries much spare weight (although our Willow only ever weighed 2.6kg) - I normally dose slightly under the weight of mine if needed - Kylie is overweight at 6.5kg and I give her the 5kg dose.
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Jan »

Thanks for that tip Crewella .. didn't realise that Metacam should be kept in the fridge. We've had a bottle since June kept in the larder so hope that its still ok.

I was told that when Blackie had cystitis the 5kg mark was ok for his weight of 5.65 (as he was then). The dose was just 1 x day.
CJ1603
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by CJ1603 »

Well I took her back to the vets today to have her reviewed and was given another bottle of Metacam.

Ruby is now 5.8kg - the vet didn't look best pleased. I honestly have no idea why she keeps growing!

I was told to give her the 6kg dose for 2 days and then reduce to the 5.8kg dose.

So that's another £70 the surgery got from me today....
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Jan »

I sympathise ... both with Ruby having cystitis (Blackie also suffers from this condition) - and the amount of money it costs to treat it. Not that any of us begrudge paying out to keep our cats healthy .. but the pockets don't like it much.

Hope Ruby gets on ok.