Fluffy in discomfort

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Fluffy in discomfort

Post by HRHFluffy »

I'm worried about my little girl. I think she is badly constipated. She's been very quiet the last couple of days and has been walking very gingerly. It is only today that I've realised she is constipated. She normally only goes every other day. She has passed a couple of very tiny stools earlier this morning but with a lot of difficulty. Her back end is obviously tender.

She has CKD and heart disease and prone to cystitus (just to give background). I give her Bezo Pet which is a laxative paste from the vets, slipperly elm bark and Vit B12 on regular basis but she is obviously in discomfort and completely out of sorts today.

I currently have no car so a trip to the emergency vet would be extremely difficult. Is there anything I can do to help her before I can ring the vet tomorrow? Any advice would be very appreciated.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Fluffy in discomfort

Post by emmab »

Aww poor baby! Try some tuna in oil, or maybe a little olive oil in her food. I know tuna isn't good long term, but oil is good for cats constipation.
Also, ensure she has plenty of water available. Is she drinking normally? Let us know how things go, but a trip to the vets is necessary really so they can treat the cause.
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Thanks Emma. I've given her some sunflower oil from a tin of tuna. Even given her some more of her paste. She is sleeping at the moment on her bed so at last she has got comfy and settled a bit.

She's definitely not right and her legs seem a bit wobbly too. She normally likes to go out to sit on the decking but not been interested in doing anything like that the last couple of days.

She's had some water but not as much as usual and not all that interested in food either.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Poor Fluffy :(

I can't think of anything short term that will make her poo as an enema is out of the question. I know when Laz gets backed up it makes his legs wobbly and he even starts tapping a back leg on the ground (like thumper in Bambi :) ) and goes off food.

I think all you can do is wait until tomorrow. It is amazing how they can feel on top of the world once the discomfort has gone.

If she is likely to get constipated long term, there are things you can give her, such as high fibre food that I give Laz .

I hope she is soon feeling better.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Poor HRH, wish I could help, but I've no experience.

Gentle fusses to Mme Fluffy. xx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Thanks Mark. I feel a little more reassured now that you mentioned about poor Laz having wobbly back legs when he's constipated. I was beginning to fear it was something else to do with her kidneys but it looks like it's all related then. She's also off her food too. Seems keen at first but then after a couple of mouthfuls she doesn't want any more.

I think it is a longterm issue with Fluffy. I mentioned it when last at the vets which is why he gave me the Bezo Pet paste but I don't think it is strong enough.

Hope Laz is feeling well today. And the lovely Kylie too.

Hi Helen, gentle fusses have just been gratefully received xx
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

You mention her back legs are wobbly...how old is she? This can be a common sign with age. Give her a huge kiss from me, and let us know once you have seen the vet tomorrow.
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Thanks Emma. She is about 14yrs old. She has possible arthritis but I've never seen her wobble before. I'm hoping that her kidneys aren't causing this. Have just given her a kiss from you.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Purdy had wobbles from time to time. I had heard that back end problems are associated with old age...ie constipation, wobbly back end and urinary problems. Maybe someone can clarify this? At least the vet can give her a good check up tomorrow. Hope it all goes well.
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by hgale »

I'm so sorry to hear about poor Fluffy, I hope it all goes ok tomorrow for you both.

Please give her a big gentle fuss from me.
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Thanks Helen. I'll give her gentle fuss.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Oh, Carol, I am sorry I have missed out on posts this weekend, and that your precious little girl is not herself. Pepsi is inclined to constipation - the record was nearly 5 days without a poo after which she now has a little spoonful of lactulose in her lick e lix (along with her other meds/supplements) and she tends to have a poo every other day which works fine for her and keeps me from panicking.

Please let us know how your beloved Fluff is today and what the vet says, if you take her there.

Love and fusses to her and hugs to you. XX
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Oh Carol, just spotted this, so so sorry about Fluffy.....I have the same issues with Barney at times, as you know, last time he had a spate of it, his back legs went very wobbly and he collapsed at one point, which was when I took him to the vet, New Years Eve night.....I find a little warm water squashed in a little high life chicken food tends to help, he won't touch anything in oil and hates fish...I hope he's a little brighter today, please let us know, will be thinking of you....xx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Thanks Sarah and Julie. Poor Pepsi and Barney. Five days is a long time isn't it. Fluffy seems a little brighter in herself this morning and is moving a bit better. She's just jumped onto her wicker chair which she wouldn't have been able to do yesterday. Still no poo though during the night. Her appetite is better too. I'm going to ring the vet and see what they say. Will probably need to take her in so they can have a feel of her. I'll update soon as I can.
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

We're back safe and sound. Poor Fluffy. She was given an enema and loads came out. At first she wouldn't "go" as she didn't like their litter tray so I was warned she may do it on the way home. Thankfully at the very last moment she did manage it. She was given some fluids too as she was a little dehydrated. So I've got some lactulose and some granules to give her. Her bowel wasn't impacted which is the main thing but just very constipated. Her stools were hard but small so vet was surprised she wasn't able to pass them.

Already she seems better in herself. I'm hoping she will be ok from now on. Just glad to have her home. I was imagining alsorts of scenarios. Thanks for all your kind thoughts and advice.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

So glad to hear the news Carol, you must be so relieved and I bet Fluffy feels much happier now too !! So pleased for you, love to HRHFluffy from me and a gentle headbutt from Barney...xx
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Glad Fluffy is feeling better now; always a worry when they're not feeling well and there isn't much you can do to help.

Fingers crossed the lactulose and the granules help her going forwards

Fusses to your gorgeous girl
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Mme Fluffy must be feeling a lot better after that, I'm so pleased it wasn't worse. All paws crossed that the Lactulose and granules do the trick. xx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Thanks Julie and Barney, Ria and Helen. Have passed on your fusses to the little girl and she has purred with appreciation :) xxx

Ria you're so right. I spent a very anxious night last night as I could see she wasn't happy but I didn't know what more I could do. She would only eat if I fed her by hand! I was so relieved to be woken up by her at 6am this morning when she climbed onto my tummy as usual and greeted me with her loud meow. I nearly backed out from taking her to the vet but am glad I did as I don't think the stools would have shifted on their own. Couldn't let her have another day of discomfort.

She is so much happier now and has already eaten. I'm always amazed at how forgiving she is when she gets back from a vet visit. Once she's home she never sulks. It was always poor Harvey who would take ages to forgive me.

She's currently in my place on the bed probably hoping I will go and join her for a cuddle.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Oh, Carol, I am so pleased. The darling little girl! I'm sure the lactulose will help - it certainly helps another rather superior elderly lady in that department. And we know where Fluffy got the feeding by hand idea from!! What a relief. We do think the worst, of course. When Lou Lou had cystitis last week, which I had not yet encountered in one of my babies, I had convinced myself she had bowel cancer because of the blood in the litter. Although I wouldn't ever wish cystitis on her, it was a far, far better alternative.

Lots of love to HRH and all the fusses she will tolerate!
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Shelly and Dora »

Oh my goodness.

Carol I feel so awful for having missed all of this.

I am soooooo pleased Fluffys better after her trip to the vets today.

Please give her a chin rub from me and a headbutt from Dora, and then an extra special ((hugs)) from me to you and a massive apology that I wasn't there for you x
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Great news Carol :) - I know how it can make a world of difference :) - I have a constipated boy lying next to me right now. He is off his food. I gave him some Miralax in his breakfast, so will probably have a 'movement' overnight.

If it is likely to be ongoing, I can highly recommend RC Fibre Response. You don't have to feed lots of it. Laz likes it anyway, but I just mix a bit in with his favourite dry food. Most of the time it keeps him going (even with megacolon) very occasionally (like today) he gets constipated. I can tell as he starts doing smaller dry poos. Usually one dose of laxative does the trick and we manage with just the food for weeks on end before needing laxative again. Obviously with Fluffy's kidneys, you don't want to give laxatives too often as they draw water into the gut, but a small amount when needed should be fine. I much prefer Miralax to Lactulose (and so does Laz! :) as it isn't sweet or stick. It is an odourless, flavourless powder you mix in food and they don't even know it is there.

I buy from this seller http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIRALAX-14-DA ... 588302a077" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and it usually lasts about a year (1/4 teaspoon dose) a couple of UK sellers now have it, but much more expensive.

Anyway, glad she is feeling better :)
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Sarah, I thought of your Pepsi when I started feeding Fluffy by hand last night. She seemed to take to it very quickly!! I know what you mean about the cystitis panic. I was the same with Fluffy last year. I remember I posted on here in a right state whilst waiting for the vets to open. You, along with Shelly and Mark helped reassure me. The symptoms are distressing to watch.

Shelly, you have had a lot on this last week so I think you can be excused by HRH for not reading this thread. Headbutts and hugs gratefully received.

Thanks Mark. That is helpful knowing I can get alternatives to lactulose. I'll look into miralax and RC fibre response. I must admit that I am still a touch worried about her. She initially was much better but has gone quiet again. Do you think the lactulose could give her tummy ache? I know laxatives can do that to us sometimes so I'd hate to think she's got pains in her tummy. She went into the bedroom earlier and started crying out for me. I ran in to see what was wrong and she was sitting under the dressing table meowing at me as if she was trying to tell me something. I hope Laz feels better soon. Poor boy. He's been very brave these last few months.

The vet had a listen to Fluffy's heart and said that her heart murmur is definitely a grade 4 or 5. I didn't even know there was a grade 5. Maybe I heard her wrong.

Thanks for all your kind thoughts and well wishes xxxx
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Shelly and Dora »

Carol you are very forgiving, understanding and far too considerate!

I wonder if Fluff is simply having a slightly delayed reaction to her vet visit? After all its not a pleasant thing to go through (even without the enema) so perhaps the initial excitement of being home has disappeared and shes had time to contemplate the nasties of her visit?

I think its interesting what Mark says about there being various ways to treat constipation. Dora used to go daily (about 6:30am) but since shes been on the Meticam that's reduced to every other day (still at 6:30). I definitely think medications have an effect on bodily functions and although she may be slightly quieter than normal its perhaps to be expected given the last 24 hours?

Xx
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by hgale »

I'm glad Fluffy is feeling a bit better now!

Some more fuss coming down the line for her!
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Thanks Shelly for the reasurrance. It makes sense what you said about a possible delayed reaction. It couldn't have been very pleasant for her this morning being poked and prodded and things stuck up her bottom!! Poor baby. It's funny how your Dora is so punctual with her bowel movements :). It's a great early morning alarm call for you isn't it. If she's anything like Fluffy she'll make a song and dance out of covering it up thoroughly!! xx

Thanks Helen for thinking about my little girl and for the extra fusses xx
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

I think laxatives can cause discomfort but not as bad as the pain of being backed up. Osmotic laxatives like lactulose and Miralax are gentler than other harsh laxatives though. One of the VN's next door said the practice owner, used to have an elderly cat with constipation and gave him a whole Senokot once a week!!! :o
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi Carol.....well, I may be in the same boat as you now, as Barney not had a 'poo' now for the second day ......he is eating normally, but with his history, like Fluffy, am beginning to think 'here we go again'........ will give him some pomegranate applaws and hope for the best......amazing how our cats health seems to mirror each other .....fingers crossed for both of us as Barney has also gone quiet now.........so worried yet again......x
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Thanks Mark for the reassurance. It doesn't seem that lactulose will cause her tummy pain then if it is quite gentle. Not like senokot :shock: . Wow! Poor cat.

Julie I do hope Barney is going to be ok. I know our cats do seem to mirror one another don't they. I've just hand fed Fluffy once again!! Think she's getting used to it. I've been putting a bit of water in with her food like you do with Barney. Makes hand feeding even more messy. Thinking of you. Please give Barney kiss from me xx
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

I think it can still cause a bit gurgling in the gut. I can send you a bit of Fibre Response to see if Fluffy will eat it. It seems very palatable. The main reason I didn't want Laz to eat it as his only dry was due to the phosphorus content (1%) when I though he had CRD, but found that a small amount does the trick anyway.

I would offer you some Miralax to try but I need to reorder myself as there is only a tiny bit left. I found it mentioned on the Megacolon forum and it seems quite a few vets in America are recommending it now, but it isn't well-know here yet.