New foster kittens not toileting

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Charbs
Frequent Cat Chatter

New foster kittens not toileting

Post by Charbs »

I collected foster cats 13 and 14 yesterday and they're starting to get used to me. The only problem is they've not used their litter tray at all. Not even a droplet!!!

I mean after over 24 hours I'd be pretty desperate! I'm not too concerned at this point as I've heard of it before, but just wondered if anyone has any tips or tricks to help them get going?

They want to explore my house but I'm reluctant until they've used their tray! I'm also very wary of them feeling uncomfortable if they hold it too long.

They're approx 11 weeks old and they're brothers. Definitely not the most confident ones I've fostered but not the most timid either as they're starting to come round. They've had a little play this evening and I even got my first purr out of one of them. They're also eating and drinking so the toileting thing is the only concern at this point.

Any ideas gratefully received!!
Charbs
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: New foster kittens not toileting

Post by Charbs »

Just realised I probably should've posted this in the behaviour section...?? Sorry!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Have you tried helping them along with a cotton wool pad or tissue? When 2 of my kitties were young, I held them over the litter and wiped their botties with a slightly damp pad. It had the desired effect and they soon got use to using the tray. Mine were younger than 11 weeks but it is worth a shot.
Just a thought, what sort of litter are you using, is it the same as they are use to?
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Grace56 »

Good idea, Bobby's Girl. I was going to suggest a gentle tummy rub after meals to stimulate the old innards ;) but the 'bottie rub' (awwww....cute) sounds good.

And yes...there are so many litters on the market, it maybe a case of trial and error. :?
Charbs
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Charbs »

All fosterers for the charity use the same litter so it's the same as they had before. I tried the ol' belly rub last night a few times and they had a little dig in the tray but never actually used it.

Fortunately overnight they've finally given in and it looks like they've both used the tray now.

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll definitely remember the cotton wool trick for if it happens again!