Lethargy after vaccination

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Lethargy after vaccination

Post by mr_frisky »

I took Coco for her annual vaccinations today, with flea treatment (advocate) and a wormer pill. She was ok when I got her back and had some more food, but over the last couple of hours she has been very lethargic, and has been sleeping, not wanting her dinner (very unusual) for her. I spoke to the vet and did some internet checking and they both said it wasn't uncommon, and to see how she was in the morning.

Has anyone else had any such experiences with vaccines or wormer?
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: Lethargy after vaccination

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Yes, definitely. When Lou Lou had her flea treatment the time before last she was so out of sorts I rang the vet. They said see how she was the next day but it was typical of some cats to react like this. The next day she was fine. So just see how she is tomorrow, but I think you'll find her back to her usual self.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Yes after vaccinations, one of mine in particular seems to be knocked for six after them. Very lethargic, sleeping lots and not wanting fusses. Give her 24-26 hours and she'll hopefully be back to normal.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

I remember Mitz was very sluggish for a few days after his vaccination, which worried me to death, but he soon recovered.
Marmalade77
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Marmalade77 »

I read a few days ago, on several sites that it's common for vaccination, esp felv, to cause lethargy for 24-48 hrs.
Hunnybunny
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hunnybunny »

Advocate and a wormer?!!

Advocate is a flea treatment and wormer so why the double dosing of a worming tablet on top?

Personally I won't flea and worm on the same day as vaccs as its a heck of an assault on the system.
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by mr_frisky »

Thanks all. He definitely gave her a wormer pill, and advocate on her neck. I thought it was all a bit much for one day.

Anyway, she slept for about 5 hours, then got up, ate loads of food and started wandering. This morning she seems more or less normal, eating etc.

It's strange, none of them have ever reacted like that to vacs before.

I looked up the Nobivac tricat trio she received and it says they use the live virus!

http://www.msd-animal-health.co.uk/prod ... sheet.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Seems a bit much to me too, but I'm glad she's feeling better. :)
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

It was just a one of when Mitz reacted badly (I think he was on the Nobivac tricat as well), but it might be that so many treatments at once was a bit much for her system. I'm sure she'll pick up again soon.
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by mr_frisky »

Thanks all, she seems ok now. :)