Cat makes weird noises??

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
spiderrichard
New Cat Chatter

Cat makes weird noises??

Post by spiderrichard »

My cat recently started sitting at the window and catering her teeth at the birds. its very cute and I'm interested to know why they do this.

Video of her at the window - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV1rdoseOQQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Cat makes weird noises??

Post by KittyWitty »

It is called chattering and here is some info on it: http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/wh ... s-chatter/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.catster.com/the-scoop/scient ... chattering" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by hgale »

My first cat Biscuit used to do that too, as well as funny little murmers at the birds.

And a few days ago I caught my new cat Denver, also glaring out of the window, chattering away at the seagulls! Such a funny, sweet little sound.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Purdy is the chatterbox in our family. She does it when she is watching anything in 'her' garden. She also likes, for some strange reason, to have a little conversation with you when you're in the bath.
She is usually the last cat in at night. They come and go through the kitchen window most of the day. But it is shut at night. So Purdy 'knocks' at the back door - jumping up and swinging from the handle. When I open the door she trots past me without a glance muttering to herself. I'm sure she's saying 'tut, you just can't get the staff these days!' :roll:
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

Henry is our chatter! He gets particularly bothered by a regular pied wagtail which comes to visit!
Simons Cats
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Simons Cats »

Mine do it. Amazes me- I mean how do they learn this!? Nature is an amazing thing.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Yes, this is a normal response to seeing birds and wanting to get them! Mine all do it, but most very occasionally - one, Jessie, who was a feral kitten, does it all the time - including at Mr Socks - our only boy and previously a marauding feral Tom. He's now a neutered big softy, but she still bad-mouths him 'chittering' as we call it, whilst he looks at her as if she is mad. Does he resemble a bird? No! He loves her though, and follows her around the garden, awestruck by her weird ways.

Funny little way they have - but as Simon says, it's fascinating where they learn these things - part of it is undoubtedly instinct, but even that can vary it it's application :lol:
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by hgale »

Well, Denver has taken his noises one step further!

I get down this morning to find a fresh but very dead seagull in the litter tray! He must have either killed it or found it and dragged it through the flap. At least he didn't drag it all over the carpet..........

A lovely way (not) to start a Monday morning! I certainly prefer the noises................
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Hazel »

My Jess does this, I always think he's a bit like Hannibal Lecter :-D

How kind of Denver to bring you such a lovely big gift this morning! x
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jacks »

A seagull??!!!! Denver, Lara would be in AWE of you - I'm sure she would have loved to bring a seagull back here. Poor seagull, however, and poor you - I hope it's demise was quick. That's the one consolation I have with Lara is that she dispatches with speed and efficiency - there's barely a mark on them, but I guess necks are broken. Jessie could no more catch a bird than fly herself - she's far too obvious and uncoordinated; all bluff and blunder with her massive chittering. Butterflies are her forte as they have no wit to avoid a cat's intentions.

I hope that's the last of litter box presents you receive! I wonder why he left it there? Grateful for small mercies I guess. Be good, Denver.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I just read some of these posts to my OH. He then confessed that years ago (before I met him) he had two cats who hunted as a team. One day they brought him a racing pigeon complete with rings. As he lived in an area of keen pigeon fanciers and didn't want to be run out of town, he just quietly buried it, oops!

Jacks - your Mr Socks sounds just like our Tommy. He is so laid back I wonder how he survived as a feral.

Hazel - like the Hannibal Lector remark. :lol:
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jacks »

Ooops indeed! A racing pigeon :o :o :o

Yes, Mr Socks is such a chilled boy now, sitting around the garden. Yesterday he and Sophie were in our new neighbour's garden fronting up to their mature lady cat. You can guess who was doing he intimidating and who was just the observer...

Before he was neutered though he was a menace! He was VERY hissy, cunning and a thief - reports of him stealing food from people's kitchens, including a Sunday joint, abounded. He must have been kicked a good few times. With us he just kept attacking the girls and stalking Lara in the most horrible way, once knocking her off a 12 foot building. Now he is a real pussy cat and has learned to play with flying toys, which he loves! He and Lara still don't get on, however - she hisses, growls and bad mouths him - he gets an evil glint in his eye...

Guess who has just come up to give me some 'lovies' whilst I'm typing... 8-)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

My Spook used to 'chatter', but none of my current gang seem to do it.

Seagulls!!! Racing pigeons!!! I'm not reading any of this thread out to my gang ..... I don't want Daz getting ideas! :shock: