Dodgy tummy

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Dodgy tummy

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Hello

My ex stray boy Edgar had a big dental last week and has been doing very well. However he had diarrhoea at the weekend and the on call vet advised over the phone to stop his Metacam and, as I expected, feed him only chicken or white fish till his poo was back to normal. Now on Tuesday his poo is still very soft though not runny but I was hoping to see more of an improvement. He is drinking from the fountain so I'm not worried at the moment about dehydration but I 'm wondering what to do next. He is eating some biscuits which are always down for the girls, especially Lou Lou as she eats so little I like to make sure there's always something around for her when she does want it. He did manage to pinch some of her Gourmet Perle but not much before I whipped it away. He was drinking a lot of cat milk before his tummy started playing up so that may be the culprit and interestingly he hasn't shown interest in it since. I'm trying to avoid yet another vet visit for him poor boy but obviously we'll go if we need to do so. In the meantime, any other diet ideas? He's starting to turn his nose up at poached chicken breast already, fussy boy, although normally he loves it! Typical...
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Dodgy tummy

Post by Crewella »

I keep a stock of Hills i/d tins for my lot when they get random dodgy tummies, and for when they come home post-op. It's bland and easy to digest. Hope he's better soon. xx
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Thanks Helen. Will get some today. Xx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Oh Sarah. Poor Edgar. I don't know what to suggest. It's a pity he's not interested in the chicken. He's obviously really out of sorts then. Hope you can get the tins that Helen suggested and that he will like them! So difficult to know what they will eat. You'll probably be able to get them from your vet. Hope he improves over the course of the day. Please give him fusses from me and Fluffy xxx
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

was Edgar prescribed Antirobe after his dental? it's fairly routine to give a course of it for a week to ten days after any procedure in the mouth, particularly an extraction

if he didn't have any Antirobe, it is possible he has an infection which would affect his digestive tract - and it's also possible if he is taking it his system has been upset by it
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Thank you ladies. Edgar has just eaten a tin of Encore chicken so it was clearly Mummy's cooking that wasn't up to scratch! I'm off out now to get coley fillets and the Hills Helen suggested now.

Yes, Kay, he had a ten day course of Anitrobe so it may have set something off. If his poo is still soft tomorrow it's back to vet. He is happy in himself, playing, loving his Mummy and chilling on the cat tree with Lou Lou, so fingers crossed it will pass soon. I really appreciate your replies. X
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Antibiotics can have the same effect on cats as on us, ie kill off the natural good bugs in the gut. Will he take a little bit of probiotic natural yoghurt? That might help.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Poor Edgar!

Sophie can be very fussy when she's not comfortable, although it's generally due to having a hairball and she will be generally off her food until she can throw it up... :-( I agree with the suggestion about live yoghurt - apparently it's quite different from cows milk in terms of digestion and can be really good for tummies. I've also got some probiotic powder sachets that are supposed to be tasteless and great for sprinkling on food if he will take it - I'd been happy to send you some if you would like to try it - it's very expensive to get if you're not sure if your little treasure will take to it. The things I've tried for Sophie and she's eaten it once and then decided it's not to her liking... :-(

Don't think it's your cooking - it may just been that when tummies are a little bit uncomfortable it's the novelty of variety that can tickle the palate, just like it would with us. xxx
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Anna and Jackie, thank you for the probiotic suggestion. It would be very kind if you could send me a sample, Jackie. Thank you. It's definitely worth a try. Have you got our new address? X
Edgar's stools are still soft and I noticed Lou Lou's weren't as formed this morning. Sigh. I wonder if they've both picked up a bug rather than it being Edgar's meds. Pepsi is fine, she eats different food and declines kisses (except from me of course!). Edgar and Lou Lou are on nothing but sensitivity wet food, chicken and white fish now. I have taken all the biscuits up and replaced them with sensitivity biscuits including Pepsi just in case. We're going away for the weekend for my birthday and I don't like the thought of leaving the cat sitter with a worry. At least she's living in so she won't miss anything. It's OH's brother's funeral today so it's extra bad timing. Hey ho. I'm primed for a vet trip tomorrow now.