Black panther spotted in Herts!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Black panther spotted in Herts!

Post by Crewella »

This pic of Merrick 'doing the rounds' did make me laugh - it does remind me of those 'big cat' reports!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d154/ ... 020270.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Re: Black panther spotted in Herts!

Post by Lyn from Australia »

Gorgeous boy. Only one difference between him and a panther after all!
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

He certainly is gorgeous.

He looks very dark and mysterious :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thanks! Of course, mine all are gorgeous ;) , but I do believe Merrick is a fine looking cat and he's built like a proper little panther - wide chest, slim hips and a very long tail (which he carries over his back like a teapot handle when he's happy to see you)! It's only sice Coco-the-foster-cat came that I've realised just how black he is. Coco is black, but a reddish-black - she looks more brown in direct sunlight. Merrick is a much deeper shade - he almost looks blue-black in sunlight.
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by KittyWitty »

Crewella wrote:Thanks! Of course, mine all are gorgeous ;) , but I do believe Merrick is a fine looking cat and he's built like a proper little panther - wide chest, slim hips and a very long tail (which he carries over his back like a teapot handle when he's happy to see you)! It's only sice Coco-the-foster-cat came that I've realised just how black he is. Coco is black, but a reddish-black - she looks more brown in direct sunlight. Merrick is a much deeper shade - he almost looks blue-black in sunlight.

He might have some Bombay in him if he looks Blue-Black then!
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

Beautiful :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Your picture of Merrick made me smile, he really does look like a Black Panther!

The photo also reminded me of something that happened to friends a few years back. They had recently moved to Spain taking their tabby 'Cuddles' with them. She was in her element snoozing under the olive trees and chasing lizards.

While looking for a site they were staying in a hunting lodge on a ridge. One day they were outside, having lunch (alright for some :roll: ). Cuddles was mooching about the grounds. A few minutes later they saw her on a neighbouring ridge. As they wondered how she got there so fast, she strolled around the corner of the house! What they were looking at was a, very rare, Spanish Lynx! :shock: :D
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I just googled the lynx - how gorgeous are they! Lucky friends! :D

Out of interest, the lovely Bobby looks to be a similar blue-black colour to Merrick?
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

What a lovely boy, Helen! He does look very mysterious.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

:D :D :D

Handsome fella :lol:
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Helen - When the photo was taken Bobby was a glossy blue-black. Now, his head is still black, but he gets progressively more dark brown towards his bum! Like his 'Auntie' Willow he has the classic black cat's Emerald eyes. Beautiful and slightly scary at the same time! ;)

I really don't understand people's aversion to black cats. I've always had a special love of them - long before I 'owned' a cat.

There is a pub in town called The Black Cat Cove. It is named after a bend in the river. It is full of pictures, posters, ceramics of black cats, amazing! Black cats are called Bog Cats around here. Gold mine of useless information me! :lol:
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Oh I do know what you mean about slightly scary!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d154/ ... a7/007.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Actually, Merrick IS slightly scary - he's the one that growls at me if I open the door and it's raining, and he has taken a swipe at me more than once. But he's also the cat that spends most evenings on my lap. :)

I've just checked, his bum is the same colour as the rest of him, so far at least! He's 11.

The pub sounds wonderful! :D
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

:lol: I know that look! Willow is very good at it, we call it the Medusa Look - you can feel yourself turning to stone! 'Agh NOOO, don't look at me like that! Whatever it is I've done/not done, said/not said, I'm sorry. PLEASE don't look at me like that!' :shock: :lol:
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

The Medusa Look - love it! :lol: