Cat with leg trapped through his collar :(

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Cat with leg trapped through his collar :(

Post by Catfan5 »

Luckily we found him in our porch at 11pm tonight just laying there. So we got him inside to have a better look and realised the collar was so tight that we had to cut it off. The cat was so busy eating our cats food he didn't notice what we were doing! It was a stretchy collar, all frayed with an ordinary buckle so far from ideal and no damage was done thank goodness to his leg or neck as far as we could see. We know where he lives so I'll pluck up the courage to take the cut collar back and ask her to get him a safety collar next time..He always in our garden so can keep an eye on him.
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Re: Cat with leg trapped through his collar :(

Post by Lyn from Australia »

Hopefully you won't need courage to take the collar back, seeing as you probably saved the cat's life!! :) There needs to be more education about cat collars - I've owned cats for many years and it's only relatively recently I've found out about safety collars, thanks to my friends on this site. I can only assume the dangers aren't all that widely known. You've done a wonderful thing for your little visitor and I hope you are appreciated.
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Catfan5 »

I hope she's interested in wanting to know about safety collars, we'll see.This cat was a stray that she took in having tried to find his owners and she did all the right things ie neutering, vaccinating and chipped..He has a catflap and he seems to be out most of the time- in our garden or trying to get to our cats food. We/he was lucky we could cut the collar as he normally won't be handled as my husband found out when he tried to pick him up on another occasion.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Well done for saving this cat! I was in the vet surgery, round the back with the convalescents, the other day (long story) and there was a cat with a 'collar wound' where it looked like his head had been partly severed, poor boy. This from a buckle system collar. But what people don't realise is that safety release collars that are Stretchy are just as bad - they sell them in our local pet shop along with firm quick-release collars and I've remonstrated that they are dangerous because they don't break, they strangle... and am met with smiling agreement only to find they've restocked them next time I visit... Grrrrr.
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Catfan5 »

omg Jacks, poor cat. I've only seen online the injuries caused by these collars and they're horrendous. I've called the woman twice this morning but had to leave a message. If she doesn't call back Ill go round, she might want the bell and tag back..Like Lyn I've only learnt about the dangers of collars on this forum, didn't realise until Jacks pointed out that even stretchey safety collars are unsafe.
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Catfan5 »

Well, I am embarrassed now as the address I was certain this cat lived at doesn't at all. I was so certain it was on a previous collar. The woman there has two cats but not a ginger one! So after leaving yet another message (on the number I saved on my phone from when I put a paper collar on him months ago) I'm going to go door to door to find where he does live! The cat looks well fed but seems so desperately hungry and tries to get in our house all the time. I need to make sure his owners are home and not away and left him. Or he might just be a greedy cat.
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Catfan5 »

Ok mystery solved I know where he lives! His owners are away and their daughter goes in to feed him and their other three cats so my mind is put at rest.:) the nice chatty neighbour says they're well cared for and ginger cat is probably being opportunistic (greedy!).
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Glad you found the owner. But definitely have a word with them when they come home from their holidays. Lots of cat owners don't realise just how unsafe some collars can be and I'd like to think that they, as caring cat owners, would be appreciative for what you've done and how much you've cared
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Oh well done! He's a very lucky boy that you rescued him from his predicament.
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Catfan5 »

Having left two messages and now put a large message with the said collar stapled to it through the door I suspect she will be abit fed up with me! I have stressed with each one that stretchy collars are bad and non stretch easy release safety collars are best so I hope she takes notice and 'gets the message'!