And then there were 7 .........

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: And then there were 7 .........

Post by greenkitty »

Oh Helen I'm so sorry, what a shock for you all. RIP little Peaches, hugs to you hun xxx
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Oh no Helen, I am so very very sorry :cry:

sending you a huge (((((hug))))); please give Daz and extra special cuddle from me

RIP Peaches, good night and sweet dreams. Run free at the bridge

:cry:
Camdengirl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Camdengirl »

I'm so so sorry Helen. I've not been on here for a while but someone told me about Peaches and I wanted to look in. Such an awful shock for you, and poor Daz must be lost without his playmate.

Hugs for you and cuddles for Daz.

Sleep tight Peaches x
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Sorry Helen - your beautiful girl :( - I don't know what to say. Peaches was one of my favourites.

So sorry. Thinking of you all xxx
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by hgale »

I'm so sorry to hear about poor Peaches, Helen. Denver and I just want to send you both lots of {nuzzles} and {hugs}.

RIP dear Peaches, I hope you enjoy Rainbow Bridge.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Oh no! Precious Peaches! How awful - I can't tell you how sorry I am for your loss - and Daz has lost his soulmate, poor boy. Your only consolation would be that she didn't suffer, but with all that lovely garden to roam in so sad that she had to be in the road, just at the wrong time.

It's the thing that we, who live in a relatively quiet location and let our treasures enjoy their environment, always dread. Our babies are all so precious. Sweet dreams lovely Peaches - she had such a happy life with you and will always be in your hearts. Don't know what else to say, just so sorry and so many hugs ((hug)).
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thank you all for your kind messages - they made me cry, but it really does help to know people understand.

We are burying her this afternoon and will plant a flowering shrub to mark the spot. I showed her to Daz after it happened (thankfully she was barely marked), who spent about five minutes sniffing her and is definitely missing her today. He sat for ages with his head on my knee on the sofa last night, he was subdued and I think he'd picked up that I was upset. As you can imagine, I've given them all extra cuddles since it happened.

I was full of guilt yesterday, but now I've had time to reflect I can't regret moving here. They all love the garden so much, and the others all stay clear of that side of the house. It was typical of Peaches to decide to raid next door occasionally - I can see her thinking that stolen mice from next door tasted better than our own mice. Daz is an opportunist and provided the muscle, but it was always Peaches that was the naughty one and the instigator, and even with hindsight I can't regret letting her out to explore. She was a delight and she never failed to make me smile.
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Oh Helen, little Peaches has touched many of our hearts. She had a fun filled and active life. I've been looking over and over at the clip of her going on an expedition with Daz. They had lots of adventures together. He won't be wondering where she is now that he's seen her but I can't help crying for him as they adored each other.

Peaches was also one of my favourites too. I had a very soft spot for her. Her antics always brought a smile to my face. The way she used to lick Daz's face when he got back from his many trips to the vet and play with the office pens. She was a very happy little girl who was much loved and adored.

Will be thinking of you this afternoon. Take care Helen and give Daz an extra big cuddle from me and a big hug to you Xxx
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Hazel »

At least Daz got to see her, I think that makes a massive difference. Animals, like people, have to deal with death and grief so they really do understand.

You can't regret letting her out, she would have been unhappy in the house if she was used to going outside. The mice are obviously juicier on the other side of the fence.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I've posted in the bereavement section, but just wanted to copy this part here as well:

Several people have said they remember when Peaches came to live with us, and I remember how grateful I was for all the help and support I got on Cat Chat at the time. I'd had ex-strays before, but Peaches was my first close encounter with a cat that had never enjoyed human contact and I really valued the advice I received and the opportunity to share the ups and downs along the way. I often used to read posts out to her, so it felt right to print off all your kind messages and put those in the grave with her as well. It helped to feel that I was sending her off with all your good wishes, and perhaps some 'references' should she ever need them at the bridge. Thank you. xx
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Shelly and Dora »

Oh Helen I'm so sorry.

I've only just caught up with this and my heart goes put to you & Daz. Sending huge ((hugs)).

Bless little Peaches. RIP little girl xx
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Helen, I am so so sorry. I have had no signal today and have only just caught up. Poor little girl, poor Daz and poor you. My heart goes out to you. Sending hugs and tender thoughts for the little girl. Xxx
jan1957
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by jan1957 »

Helen
Felt so saddened to read of your tragic news about little Peaches;you are in our thoughts and prayers and we wish you peace and strength.
Jan E&G
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thank you, the support and empathy here has really helped.

Poor Teasel and Coco the foster cat have been a bit neglected over the last couple of days, so today I've tried to make an effort and start focusing on them and the rest of the gang again.

I had a bit of a disaster with Teasel today - it really has been a tough week. I went into her room and noticed she has something caught around one of her front legs. It was a bookmark (I know that because it still had a tag on it saying so) comprising a thin piece of twine with a glass bead either end. I'd never seen it before, so can only imagine it was left behind by the vendor of the house and Teasel had unearthed it from a corner or the edge of the carpet. It had formed a sort of noose, and seemed to be caught on her dew claw, and as she worried at it it was only getting tighter. She was already freaked out, and I had to grab her to loosen it and get it off. Unfortunately, she freaked out completely, and I had to really grip her to get it free as I was scared I'd never get hold of her again if I let her go before I'd got the thing off her. Maybe that was a mistake, but I got scratched to pieces and bitten on both hands before I could work it loose and let her go. Predictably, she went straight back behind the chest of drawers. Poor little thing was terrified, I feel awful. I have been in there this evening and stroked her, and she did eventually purr, but I suspect it will be a while before she gains confidence again.

Thankfully, Coco is doing better. I found a little upholstered bedroom chair in the dump pile at work, so I loaded it into the back of my car and put it in Coco's pen. The pen was looking a bit bare and empty, and it's really helped to make it look and feel more homely. She loves it, she's been on there all afternoon, and it gives me somewhere to sit and spend a bit more time in there with her.

Let's just hope that's a good sign and the week improves from here on!
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Ouch, Helen! I can imagine! Lara gets daBird round her paws some times and they get really scared and automatic defenses take over... I hope she calms down today, poor Teasel, and you've put some antiseptic on those bites and scratches and are feeling better. I think the idea is with kittens to wrap them in a towel or something first, then get the bit of them exposed that needs attention, but it is easier said than done and I've never tried to restrain ex-feral Jessie in that way - I think she'd hate it :x

We had the window cleaner at 7am this morning and little Phoebe was terrified. A bit like your newbies she doesn't have a lot of confidence and things that frighten her can set her back. We let her explore the landing yesterday and she had a little look in the bathroom, pooped in the girls' litter tray, then bumped the door and it made a little noise which frightened her back into her little room. The window cleaner sent her scooting into the crack between bed and wall - I've coaxed her out but she keeps looking at the windows in horror. I'm not used to a cat who doesn't want to start exploring after a couple of days in a bonding room - this one has obviously been traumatised.

Thinking of Coco and Teasel today - and you, of course! x
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Helen that must have really hurt!! Was the last thing you needed to happen. Poor you. It couldn't be avoided in anyway. Like you say, Teasel probably had it stuck to her for some time and was already freaked out by it. It may take a day or two but you will soon pick up where you left off. It's just a minor blip in the grand scheme of things. It's great that Coco is continuing to do so well. And now she has some extra luxury in her pen. How lovely. You're doing a great job :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Poor Teasel, it's bad enough when one of ours gets a claw caught in something. When you go to help there is not usually time to get a towel to wrap them in and, once freed they give you such a look - like it is all your fault! :roll: It must have been so traumatic for her (and you) when she was making such good progress.

Jacks - I can remember when Tommy was still living wild. He got a cut over one eye, so we borrowed a trap from the vet and took him to have it fixed (we had him 'fixed' at the same time!) He was SO wild the vet had to get 'The Gloves', great big, elbow-length, leather gauntlets. As he held a hissing, spitting, snarling Tom at arms length he said it would be best if I left as 'the cat is going to associate you with this and will never trust you again'. How could I argue? If you could see Tommy Wussy Puss now, you would not believe it to be the same cat. :lol:

It takes time and patience to win over these little ones and that's something you, Helen and Jacks. have in spades! Hugs, and TCP to you both and gentle fusses to the kitties.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Yep, I was slathered in Germolene and sticking plaster! Most seem OK, but I must have missed a tiny cut in one finger, as that got really swollen and sore. Seems a bit better today, thankfully!

Poor little Phoebe does sound a lot like Teasel in that way - the slightest thing sends her running for cover. Teasel is better today - she's been hiding a lot and is still a bit subdued, but was out when I took her food in and she let me stroke her on the sofa briefly. Hopefully we'll be back on track soon.

*I sometimes call Daz a Big Wussy Pussy!* :D
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Helen that's good news that Teasel seems better today. It won't take her long to get back to where you were and then progress from there.

I hope your wounds start to heal ok. Poor you. If only Teasel had known what you've been through the last few days :( Give Daz a big cuddle from me. He is such a cuddly boy and I would just love to be there in person to pick him up and give him a squeeze xx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Daz, bless him, is the only one of my gang that actually likes to be picked up and cuddled. Poor lad has been squeezed within an inch of his life over the last few days. :)

Teasel enjoyed a proper fuss today and was more relaxed. I think she's forgiven me, though she's jumpier when you first go in. I left the door open for her again this evening, but she really doesn't seem all that interested in exploring and actually looks relieved when I shut the door again. I'm guessing little Phoebe is a bit similar - from her point of view the door isn't shutting her in, it's shutting the big bad world out!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Good news about Teasel. Sounds like the thing with the band was just a minor hiccup in her progress. I'm sure with your patience, it won't be long before Phoebe feels like venturing out.

Hugs and gentle fusses to the little ones.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Teasel seems pretty much back on track, thankfully. She still has good days and bad days, but overall I think she's forgiven me. She'll come out for her food, and will come out to me for a fuss on a good day. I've never managed to work out what causes the bad days, but as long as there are less of them, I'm happy.

I've been a bit worried about Coco in her outdoor pen in this weather, but she seems fine - I'm so glad we managed to get a roof on it in time, and she has shelter in her little house if it gets too bad.

Daz seems to be settling back into his routine since we lost Peaches, he does spend more time with Basil, and I found him and Merrick asleep together on the sofa yesterday - that is unheard of! Merrick did have a bit of a soft spot for Peaches - perhaps he misses her too.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d154/ ... 020868.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Helen that's a wonderful pic of Daz and Merrick. I've been thinking about you and Daz and wondering how Daz was getting on and whether he was making any new friends. Maybe he and Merrick have a common bond in that they both miss Peaches. Glad he's spending more time with Basil. He is obviously a cat who needs to have a pal. It's good that he's getting back into a routine too. All positive signs. Give him another cuddle from me.

Great to hear how well Teasel is doing and that she's making progress again after the set back. How are your wounds doing? Thinking of you.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thanks, the swelling has gone down and I'm just looking a bit scabby now! :D
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Poor Coco had to go to the vets for her first check and vaccination today. She was so good, made no fuss about going into the carrier and was good as gold at the vets, bless her. She did wail at me all the way there and back, though, and let me know exactly what she thought of being stuck in a box, in a car! I gave her some chicken when we got back, and she was fine, just glad to be 'home'. I do hope somebody sees her and falls for her - I know she's older, and black, but whoever gives her a home will be very lucky to get such a little gem of a cat. :)

Daz seems to rather like her too!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d154/ ... 020583.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Teasel's still much the same, she still feels more comfortable being stroked under cover, rather than out in the open, but she's coming out to greet me more often - it's slow progress, but it's progress!
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Helen it looks like Daz is wanting to make friends with Coco :) What a gorgeous boy he is.

Well at least her first vet visit is over with. She is so very lovely and I hope that someone will be wanting to take her home soon. Love her little house in her pen. Very sweet.

Glad Teasel is still making progress.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Haha that did make me laugh, he's a one for the lady pusses isn't he?!!!!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

He certainly is - it was because he kept chasing poor Grumpy Nellie that we got Peaches in the first place. He only wanted to be friends, but Nellie really didn't appreciate his advances!

Coco was a bit hissy at first, but she seems to accept Daz being there, I've spotted Merrick lurking by her pen sometimes too. She loves that little house - she uses all three levels of it. :)

I might try to engineer a meeting between Daz and Teasel - unfortunately, Daz rarely goes upstairs so I'm not even sure that he knows she's up there at the moment. Basil's the one that sleeps up on the landing, but he was an only cat for 9 years and takes a long time to accept new faces - he just hisses at her and runs away if he's there when I open her door. She hisses back at him now, but at first she seemed willing to be friendly. I'm hoping that if she and Daz make friends he might help her to gain confidence in the way that he helped Peaches when she first came.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

I think Daz is the man for the job :)
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

I agree. Sounds like a great idea to get Teasel and Daz introduced. Will be very interested to hear how they get on.