My cat is violently reacting to her own reflection

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
thelizardhouse
Returning Cat Chatter

My cat is violently reacting to her own reflection

Post by thelizardhouse »

I've had a lovely/peaceful natured rescue cat for three Months now, but suddenly things are quite badly off the rails. Come evening, she is growling, snarling and fighting with her own reflection. This is mainly at a glass sliding door, and even with the curtains pulled and secured at the bottom by books etc. she is still upset. She also fights with herself in a full length mirror and the glass oven door. She now spends the evenings looking around in an upset state, which is quite heartbreaking. Would love to have my normal, happy little cat back.
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: My cat is violently reacting to her own reflection

Post by exlibris »

This may be a symptom of a health issue - so speak to your vet.
However, it could be excessive energy - get a toy on a rod, it's really effective for making your cat exhausted without doing the same to you!
Is she neutered? This could be hormones at work.
thelizardhouse
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by thelizardhouse »

She is neutered, and does have toys, but I do appreciate your suggestions. Things started off badly this morning, but right now she is quite happy and relaxed, so fingers crossed . .
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

I remember seeing an episode of Harry's Practice with a young cat carrying on with her own reflection. As Dr Harry rightly pointed out she didn't know who it was, to her it was just another cat in her territory. From memory they covered the bottom halves of the wardrobe mirror doors with paper and were given a Feliway diffuser to use - whether or not the cat responded I never found out. I hope so. Who wants newspapers taped to the wardrobes forever?
thelizardhouse
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by thelizardhouse »

Thanks Lyn. I've now had to resort to covering the offending surfaces - mirror, oven door etc. This is the only way to get some peace at home, just wish I new how long this will go on for.
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!

I was trying to find any reference to the outcome of Dr Harry's "mirror cat" and came across the suggestion elsewhere that it might be useful to try creating positive associations with the mirrored (covered areas) by using toys/catnip play in those specific areas, which makes sense. Also that this type of behaviour can be set off in any cat when he or she becomes amped up by the presence of outdoor cats then reacting to its own reflection (kind of like redirected aggression I suppose). If this is the case then trying to discourage by various means any cats using your yard may help.
As the reactions to the presence of other cats can be SO much worse than disliking her own reflection, covering up the mirrored surfaces for a while is a minor inconvenience!!
Haven't as yet found any reference to what I was looking for!!!
thelizardhouse
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by thelizardhouse »

That's really helpful Lyn, thank you. I suspect that she has actually been upset by another cat at some stage, which may have triggered all this. Her nature is very submissive, so I'm wondering if she is vulnerable to feeling easily threatened by another animal. As a rescue cat, I don't know what sort of past she has had. She is now well loved, we'll get there in the end . .
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!

You obviously care for her very much and she'll come good in time. What's her name? When you work out how to post a picture we'd all like to see her. Cheers...
thelizardhouse
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by thelizardhouse »

Will post a picture of 'Willow' when I eventually get a smart phone, one day.
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!

Will look forward to that day. Keep us up to date with Willow's progress. :)