Overprotective cat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
cassiestarlight
New Cat Chatter

Overprotective cat

Post by cassiestarlight »

My female cat is very overprotective of my male cat. He's pretty naughty (but cute enough to get away with it) however if I ever raise my voice (to say NO etc) she comes flying into the room guns blazing biting/scratching eyes glowing. It gets even worse if after i've shouted I have to get up to remove the boy cat from say the bookshelf, where he damn well knows he's not allowed, she becomes even more enraged. Like she thinks i'm going to hurt him if she can sense i'm annoyed/angry.

I put up with all this because 99% of the time she's a loving perfect kitty. However now I have a new kitten and she's become protective of him too. I can't even teach him what's wrong by loudly saying "No" or "Ouch" when he bites/scratches etc. Now it's got to the point where even if I raise my voice in general, like shouting at the TV or to myself she thinks i'm angry at her or the other cats. You'd think i'd have some kind of aggression problem they way she reacts these days.

I probably know the answer already, she's not spayed and this would probably help. The male cat is neutered and the kitten will be too, plus they are all house cats so I never got around to getting her done (plus I am a bit short of money these days.) Is there anything I can do to pacify her until I can get her done (probably after Christmas) ?

(Oh and a quick P.S my house has been broken into several times and the cats have been in for each break in. I'd thoroughly checked the cats over each time to make sure the idiots didn't hurt them, but they do get jittery whenever they hear a noise in the house anywhere so I feel like something must have happened to them. Maybe they kicked them out of the way or shouted at them etc (they love meeting new people and probably didn't know what they were here for at first))
Hunnybunny
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Overprotective cat

Post by Hunnybunny »

From the title of this post I guessed that this cat was not spayed!! Its text book unspayed female behaviour.

Spaying WILL fix the problem.

Get this done ASAP as it is so important for so many health and behavioural grounds let alone over breeding and just general responsible cat ownership.

If you are on any benefits then contact your local Cats Protection who maybe able to help with a neutering voucher.

Please don't wait till after Christmas as this behaviour needs sorting before it becomes engrained and you can't stop it......
cassiestarlight
New Cat Chatter

Well I'm glad I I had my thoughts confirmed. However, nope I am not on any benefits and it will be impossible for a little while. The kitten needs some tests done as he has a bit of a dodgy digestive system so that takes first priority right now money wise. For at least this month and next month anyway. She is strictly an indoor cat, never been outside so getting pregnant isn't a worry. And trust me with the amount of break ins I have had the windows are NEVER open no matter the weather and the front door and porch door are never both open at the same time so escape is impossible (poor things haha) I know about the health reasons which is why I was going to get her done as soon as possible, well before the kitten turned up and started to sh*t all over the house that is.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Hello and welcome to CC. I am sorry to hear of all your problems, not just the cats, but all the break-ins. How awful for you. It makes me realise how lucky we are to live where we do - our kitties come and go as they like, from 8 in the morning 'til dark, though an open kitchen window!

Hunnybunny is right, you will probably find the problem resolves itself as so as she is spayed. So ASAP!
How well do you know your vet? When Bobby needed his big Op. our vet asked us if we wanted to pay in installments. They put HIS welfare first, which I thought was lovely. If you have a good relationship with your vet and they know you are not going to 'flee the country' they might let you pay in installments?
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by sarie »

Aw I can't add much more to what the other ladies have said, it sounds like you're in a tricky situation and I'm particularly saddened to hear about your break-ins!

One thought though... if you're getting broken into there's a risk that your little lady might escape if it happens again and they leave a door or window open when they leave - if she gets out she could very well stray or become pregnant. I know it's not cheap and it's always difficult when money is tight but I'd definitely explain the situation to your vet and see if they can offer some help with a repayment scheme of sorts so you can get her sorted sooner rather than later :)

I hope you don't have anymore break-ins though, that's awful!
cassiestarlight
New Cat Chatter

Thanks for the replies guys, I have already spoken to my vet about payment plans etc and they have firmly said no (even after going there for over 15 years.) As soon as little Chen's poo trouble is sorted out i'll get her done straight after. He's on some medication to hopefully firm up his poo but if that doesn't work by Monday they we will have to do some tests. He's been on antibiotics, and other random pastes so it's been a little expensive.

As for the break ins- who knows. The house is alarmed up to high heaven now, and the windows and doors all have several locks and alarms. So i'd be surprised if they thought it would be worth trying for a 5th time.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Let's try this from another angle - your kitten's digestive problems. You say you are spending a lot on vet treatments for him. Call me a cynical old bat (I don't mind :) ) but from what you have said about your vet I think they might just be wanting to part you from your hard-earned cash, tests, pastes etc. :? Tell us some more of kitten's problems - I am sure there are folks on here that might have a dietary answer for you. Thus freeing your cash for the spaying. I might even consider finding another vet.
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by exlibris »

I spoke to the Cat's Protection League when I wanted to adopt a stray (who turned out to be a crafty Six-Dinner-Sid). I explained that I had a full time job but money was still tight. They said they'd neuter for £10. This could have been because it was a stray, I don't know but it really is worth at least asking them.
cassiestarlight
New Cat Chatter

Actually the vet is really good (hence why i've been going there for so long with all of my various pets) they are just pretty tight with their money I guess!!! I'll definitely get in touch with cats protection anyway and see what they say.

My kitten has had constant diarrhoea since the day I brought him home over a month ago. We tried antibiotics first, then a different kind of wormer (which he needed anyway) and now something to try and firm up his poo. None of these have worked so far. He was on Felix wet food when I got him, which I just carried on with however a friend at work said that food had given her kitten the runs too so I thought maybe that was it so I changed his food to a better quality one but no joy. Other than the diarrhoea he is eating/drinking/sleeping/playing perfectly normally!
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by sarie »

Sounds like a food intolerance to me - it could be one of a number of thing but grains/cereals are a fairly common one.

Cassie, if money is tight then you could try moving him on to Butcher's Classic as it's not too expensive but it's grain and additive free. A food that is perceived as better quality isn't always the solution to dietary complaints as although better, it may still contain something that disagrees with him, for example grains :)

I hope you can get to the bottom (excuse the pun) of his tummy issues, it certainly sounds like an intolerance :)