Litter box issue after giving birth

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Wheeler21
New Cat Chatter

Litter box issue after giving birth

Post by Wheeler21 »

Our cat gave birth to 4 cute little kittens two days ago. Since then, she’s been pooping/peeing everywhere but the litter box. It’s clean and not far from where her and the babies are. What’s the issue or how can I help her?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Litter box issue after giving birth

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome.
I feel this isn't normal - usually mother cats are scrupulous about keeping any smell/contamination away from the kittens.

I wonder if she's not quite back to normal yet, if her body's suffered some trauma during the birth, resulting in incontinence or weakened muscles (although I've never, as an ex-breeder, heard of this happening.) Or could it be that her tray's too close to the kittens for her liking, but again, I've known mother cats with a tray in the same room as the kittens, and having no problems.

I'd be inclined to ring the vet and ask for some advice here - most vets and their nurses are fine with giving advice over the phone/out of hours (cats always land us with these problems then don't they lol?) Hopefully it could be a temporary problem - I do hope so!

All the best and please let us know how she goes on :)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Litter box issue after giving birth

Post by booktigger »

Yes, I agree with Lilith, I've fostered numerous mums and kittens, and never had this issue.