Kitty Injured his Tail (Advice?)

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
evceleb
New Cat Chatter

Kitty Injured his Tail (Advice?)

Post by evceleb »

Hi Everyone! I've never posted here, but I've never experienced this injury before so I'd love as much feedback as you can give!

Full story:

My 5 year old indoor-only cat got injured on his tail this weekend, and I noticed he had a kink in his tail where half of his tail would raise up when being petted (from butt-mid tail) but the other half of his tail (from mid tail-tip) wouldn't stand and would just droop. He didn't cry but when I touch the injury he does meow in discomfort. I took him to the vet the next day as it didn't seem to be better. The vet said that it doesn't seem like a serious injury, perhaps just a fracture of the tail, and said there's not much to be done to fix it other than letting it heal with time. He also gave us some pain meds. As I've seen around the internet, it seems true that there isn't much care we can give cats for tail injuries other than making sure they rest and keeping an eye on the injury. Since his injury is completely internal (there's no wound to his skin etc) I doubt infection is an issue.

But anyway! I was fine with this solution from the vet, and my kitty seemed to be doing better yesterday morning, with his tail rising higher than it was before and the swollen part of his tail has since gone down. However all evening yesterday and into this morning, his tail hasn't been raising at all, not even that half that was functioning before. And he slipped off of the bathroom counter this morning, probably because he lost his balance. It seems to me that it's getting worse / he's losing feeling in all of his tail. I'm super worried because I would hate to have to amputate his tail but I don't want him to sustain further injuries to his spine or get depressed.
Can someone tell me if this is just part of the healing process ("it has to get worse before it gets better" sort of thing)? Or am I justified in being worried? If you've experienced anything similar with your cat please let me know! Any advice I'll take into consideration.

EDIT: The tip of his tail still moves with little twitches and normal swishing action, so I don't think it's completely dead/paralyzed.
Cat-FAQ
Cat Chat Adviser

Re: Kitty Injured his Tail (Advice?)

Post by Cat-FAQ »

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear your cat has an injured tail. I've put some links below that may help you:

https://vethelpdirect.com/

https://www.catchat.org/index.php/usefu ... pet-health

You could also email Cat Chat’s Help Desk for further advice: cat.advice (at) catchat.org or email [email protected]

I also recommend speaking to your vet again as it appears things have changed in your cat since the last visit. I hope your cat recovers soon