Rescue Cat and New Baby

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
CalmandCheery
New Cat Chatter

Rescue Cat and New Baby

Post by CalmandCheery »

Hi all, please be kind as I’m really nervous and scared to post this. I really don’t know what to do and need help.

My husband and I rescued quite an old cat last year who had been abused. We chose her as she’d been at the Center quite awhile as no one wanted her. She didn’t really like people, hissed and swiped a lot.

I’ve worked really hard with her over the past year and she has made major strides. She comes over and headbutts my legs and occasionally will let me stroke (though may swipe after a little while). The main thing is she follows me everywhere and sleeps beside me. She’s like my shadow.

However with my husband it’s a different story. We think she may have been abused by a male as she has never really warmed to him. Whenever he walks past she hisses and can be quite violent towards him in nature. He has tried to be patient and offer treats but she doesn’t seem to warm to him.

I’m currently 6 months pregnant and we’re really worried how she’s going to react to a new baby in the house.

I love her to pieces, she’s like a baby to me, however I’m terrified she’ll hiss and swipe at the baby. We’ll never be able to leave the nursery door open.

I’m also worried if I try to rehome her that she’ll never trust anyone again - it’s taken her so long to warm to be after being abused.

Please can someone give some advice on what to do? I’m in pieces over this. I’ll do anything I can to keep her with me, but I also want my child to be safe.
Cat-FAQ
Cat Chat Adviser

Re: Rescue Cat and New Baby

Post by Cat-FAQ »

Hi,

The following pages on the main Cat Chat site might be useful, if you haven’t already seen them:

Cat Chat’s information page on aggression in cats, which offers advice on the most common causes of cat aggression, and how to recognise and deal with it: https://www.catchat.org/index.php/cat-b ... aggression

Cat Chat’s rehoming advice page, which includes sections on "Pregnancy", "New Baby in the Home" and "Behavioural Problems": https://www.catchat.org/index.php/rehome-pet-cat

You could also email Cat Chat’s Help Desk for further advice: cat.advice (at) catchat.org

Hope that helps.