food issues

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Post Reply
shazxx50
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon May 09, 2016 6:33 pm
No. of cats in household: 1
Location: Bedfordshire

food issues

Post by shazxx50 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:02 am

Hi All, its been some time since i posted, some of you may remember my beautiful Miley grew her wings last June and you guys helped ne deal with her passing. Any way im back, have a new fur baby Puddle.... just after some advice she is now 8months old, a total nut job, so different from Miley, I feed her kitten applaws which is fine but if i give her wet applaws she gets very loose stools.... she has been to the vets and they say its fine, but im paranoid about bowels as that was the start of Mileys problems she had mega colon.....any advice? Ive tried giving her dry food then introduceding wet again in small amount but she gets diarrhoea again
thanks Sharon

User avatar
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 1806
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:50 pm
No. of cats in household: 1
Location: West Wales

Re: food issues

Post by Kay » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:20 am

congratulations at your renewed cat slave status

kitten food is very rich, I believe, so that might be the problem - at 8 months she could move on to adult food which might be all it takes to sort her out

shazxx50
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon May 09, 2016 6:33 pm
No. of cats in household: 1
Location: Bedfordshire

Re: food issues

Post by shazxx50 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:33 am

Hi Kay, she is only on kitten dry food, the wet food isnt its normal cat food, i had her on kitten wet food and she was the same. Can you just give a cat dry food? I know I shouldnt compare but Miley on had dry food and she ended up poorly due to consipatation vet thinks i was unlucky to lose miley but its a worry as i was heartbroken when i lost her......There are so many foods i want a good meat content not one found of rubbish...... She is bothered about wet food... i yhink i need another chat with her vet xx

shazxx50
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon May 09, 2016 6:33 pm
No. of cats in household: 1
Location: Bedfordshire

Re: food issues

Post by shazxx50 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:45 am

Kay wrote:congratulations at your renewed cat slave status

kitten food is very rich, I believe, so that might be the problem - at 8 months she could move on to adult food which might be all it takes to sort her out


I just seen the status lol.... go me xx

booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:36 pm

Re: food issues

Post by booktigger » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:02 am

shazxx50 wrote:Hi Kay, she is only on kitten dry food, the wet food isnt its normal cat food, i had her on kitten wet food and she was the same. Can you just give a cat dry food? I know I shouldnt compare but Miley on had dry food and she ended up poorly due to consipatation vet thinks i was unlucky to lose miley but its a worry as i was heartbroken when i lost her......There are so many foods i want a good meat content not one found of rubbish...... She is bothered about wet food... i yhink i need another chat with her vet xx
Unfortunately sometimes the high meat content foods are too rich, have you tried any other brands?

shazxx50
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon May 09, 2016 6:33 pm
No. of cats in household: 1
Location: Bedfordshire

Re: food issues

Post by shazxx50 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:11 am

booktigger wrote:
shazxx50 wrote:Hi Kay, she is only on kitten dry food, the wet food isnt its normal cat food, i had her on kitten wet food and she was the same. Can you just give a cat dry food? I know I shouldnt compare but Miley on had dry food and she ended up poorly due to consipatation vet thinks i was unlucky to lose miley but its a worry as i was heartbroken when i lost her......There are so many foods i want a good meat content not one found of rubbish...... She is bothered about wet food... i yhink i need another chat with her vet xx
Unfortunately sometimes the high meat content foods are too rich, have you tried any other brands?
Hi, yes she was on royal canin kitten dry and wet but was hungry so vet suggested changing her to applaws.... She is fine if i cut out the wet food and doesnt like chicken or fish so thats not a option... vet did give me some paste to help her tummy but she wouldnt eat it!!!!!
Xx

shazxx50
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon May 09, 2016 6:33 pm
No. of cats in household: 1
Location: Bedfordshire

Re: food issues

Post by shazxx50 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:37 am

Must add apart from loose bowels when she eats wet food she is fine :D

User avatar
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
Posts: 1806
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:50 pm
No. of cats in household: 1
Location: West Wales

Re: food issues

Post by Kay » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:43 pm

I had a cat who would only eat Iams Chicken dry food - absolutely nothing else would pass his lips - and he did well on it

my current two have a 50/50 diet but leave more wet than dry - Tosker is prone to constipation so I make sure he has some RC Fibre Response each day, and if you are worried about constipation with Puddle you could do the same - it apparently tastes nice!

Post Reply