Senile cat?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
vanilla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Senile cat?

Post by vanilla »

My cat is 15yrs old. I think she may be senile as she's not using the litter tray very well. Some days she uses it, other days we find puddles on the floor. Anyone looked after a senile cat? What can you do?
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Senile cat?

Post by Mollycat »

Only had one and I had moved out before she was senile, but my ex never did anything. He tried the usual putting the tray or newspaper down in her favourite spots but she would just go next to them. He resigned himself to cleaning up as best he could and change the carpet one day. Sorry that's not very helpful but I guess I'm just trying to say if you end up on that route, it's ok to decide that. She went on like that for about 18 months I think, then one morning she just forgot to wake up. We have no regrets, anyway.

Assuming you have had a vet check to rule out any illness or pain, if she really is just losing her marbles, I don't think there is much to be done.
vanilla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vanilla »

Thank you Mollycat. She's healthy in herself, still eating and drinking. She's slightly deaf and also blindish, has cataracts in both eyes. She's indoor only now. Use to be outdoor but over the last couple of years we've lost her as she never found her way back home. So lucky to have found her twice when she went missing twice (two weeks first time she got lost, then 4 days the second time). She sleeps alot these days too. Bless her.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Ours was also deaf and blind, and got very thin too. The worst was the standing at the foot of the stairs and yowling. But she was a happy little soul and if she hadn't been we would have done something to help her along.

Hoping for someone to come along with suggestions for you though.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Is she using specific spots? Incontinence bed pads can be useful if so - or cheap washable waterproof backed mats. My dogs and I have an agreement about a hideous imitation sheep skin in the bathroom for those 3am emergencies...!
vanilla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vanilla »

It's really hit and miss fjm. I've put down puppy pads on areas that can't be cleaned easily, like on the base of the cat scratching tower. Other then that she does it anywhere. Even wees in her bed!! Poor thing.
abbyally
New Cat Chatter

Post by abbyally »

i had a cat with dementia. He was around 16 years, was hyperthyroid and had CKD too. He had all the usual signs like yowling in the night, etc. He also urinated in different places. We gave a supplement from the vet containing fish oil that is suppose to help.
I would get your kitty checked out by the vet as older cats urinate inappropriately for many reasons like FLUTD, UTI'S and stress. Also, an older cat that does this can do it because they're arthritic and find it difficult to get to the tray or get over the sides.
Hope that helps. ;) :)